skype.jpgIt could be interesting to mod old payphones to make Skype / VOIP calls.. deposit $0.25 and call anywhere in the world for 20 minutes. Or just pound in your user name and password t9 style and use your Skype minutes…maybe you put in $0.25 and it gives you a wifi SSID for 30 minutes to use. The payphone is iconic, I love the way they look. It’s sad they’re going away in a lot of places, but maybe there are more uses for them. Here’s the start of the Skype payphone project! As I hack it up, I’ll post the details.

Phillip Torrone

Editor at large – Make magazine. Creative director – Adafruit Industries, contributing editor – Popular Science. Previously: Founded – Hack-a-Day, how-to editor – Engadget, Director of product development – Fallon Worldwide, Technology Director – Braincraft.

Comments

1. bernardroth says:

The payphone housing could contain the wireless networking equipment and the handset could be a tethered skype phone. If the incentive to use skype is there, the networking would be free.

2. ventifact says:

I’d like to see a desk phone “Skyped” out to tap into the audio in/out when the hand-set is picked up.

3. jmassaglia says:

where can you find a payphone like that? Are they very expensive?

4. creiter says:

phil. sounds like a cool idea. i

5. creiter says:

phil. sounds like a cool idea. im a journalist and would be interested in writing about it. please email me reiter_chris@hotmail.com

6. Bohdana says:

Wavigo is Skype done right and honorable way!
    I have been using Wavigo now for several months and I am using it to connect to my mom in Europe and with my friends. She is on dial up and the voice quality is awesome! I had to get rid of Skype, after I have found out why my computer runs so slow and I had to manually remove all of the still active processes. It will not take long time when others will realize, this Skype is taking advantage of them. They are making $$$ on these poor users, who are so clueless just as I was. I feel I was invaded by this company Skype. It was very hard to get rid of them….sort of like parasite. Once you have it, it’s hard to get rid of !!!
    I wish those people writing about Skype would have good knowledge of Skype’s technology and would inform readers much better and in full truth! It is sneaky of Skype to give free tech just so they can get you, because many users have limitated technology knowledge, and the only one benefiting is Skype. They use computer resources of their users for others …how LOW!!!! No wonder Skype went out their way to promote “sharing is good” which is more like brainwash, so they can make $$$. Now that is my story….I USE WAVIGO it is done RIGHT!

7. Kevin says:

What ever happened to this project?