Still Moonshiners set up near creeks and rivers to assure a ready supply of water. All whiskey came from sour mash, but recipes varied. Commonly, the moonshiner mixed corn meal and hot water in separate “mash barrels,” later adding large scoops of sugar as well as yeast. After two days, the fermenting mixture began to bubble furiously and continued to do so for several days. When the mash quit “working,” it had the “kick of a mule colt” and was ready to be transferred to the still. [via] Link.

Phillip Torrone

Phillip Torrone

Editor at large – Make magazine. Creative director – Adafruit Industries, contributing editor – Popular Science. Previously: Founded – Hack-a-Day, how-to editor – Engadget, Director of product development – Fallon Worldwide, Technology Director – Braincraft.

52 Responses to HOW TO make Moonshine Whiskey

Your Thoughts?

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

1. georgiaboy on said:

recipe for apple brandy-peach brandy-corn whiskey capoffto@yahoo.com

2. georgiaboy on said:

recipe for apple brandy-peach brandy-corn whiskey capoffto@yahoo.com

3. billydkidfilms on said:

I am also looking for a good recipe for moonshine. Can anyone help?
    thanks,
    Billy.

4. unclerod on said:

does anyone know a good site or know themselves and can explain to me in detail how to make about 300mL of moonshine? hobo_box77@hotmail.com

5. CopenhagenJunkie on said:

mlb2880 i’d like directions on everything if you could?

6. CopenhagenJunkie on said:

mlb2880 i’d like directions on everything if you could?

7. Mr-Alcohol on said:

4 PARTS POTATOES / CORN
    4 PARTS SUGAR – WHITE or BROWN but not Raw
    3 PART DISTILLED WATER
    1 WINE YEAST
    1 PORTION WINE NUTRIENT

Dissolve Sugar in water. Let yeast rise in 1 cup of distilled water. Potatoes should be cleaned and peeled, then mashed. Mix everything in a brand new garbage can cleaned with wine cleaning powder. Stir Mixture every day for 2 weeks. Then let the mixture sit for 3 month. Note that you can filter out the mash before the last step or leave it in. At this point if youhave filtered it, you would have Potatoe Wine. If you have a hydrometer you’d have about 17% Alcohol. Now the hard part, you need a still to seperate the water and alchol. Alcohol has rapid evaporation @ 78.3 degrees. You want to evaporate just the alcohol leaving water and impurities behind. Which means throwing away anything produced before 78.3 as well. (This would be Ethanol 1 / also called the foreshot, tastes horrible). All this means that 17% of your batch is pure alchol. With a pot still, you’ll be lucky to make 70%, and in a reflux still 85%, and in a valved reflux still 97%. Why? Water naturally starts to evaporate faster as temperature increases. Thus you’ll never achieve 100%. Plus who would drink such a deadly mix? Anyways hope this answers all your questions.

8. Mr-Alcohol on said:

Now that I helped all of you, I am tring to figure out how to make Pumpkin Brandy made with Brown Sugar in the Shell. I’ve heard of 3 people who have also heard of this, but I can’t find any recipes, or any details.

Cheers!

• agorist on said:

Hello, Mr-Alcohol
      Someone told me how to make pumpkin brandy years ago, I wish I had written it down because I have been trying to remember it ever since. The method mentioned by martink27 sounds similar to what I can remember. I’d be interested to know if you find a recipe that works.

9. ragtak on said:

simelest still you can get a water distiller
    make your mash like recipe above. then run it through
    a water distiller. i picked mine up at a flea market for 5 bucks. then run shine through a brita water filter.dont put solids in your water disttlier though
    use plastic hose to syphon liquid off.

10. martink27 on said:

Hi Mr. Alcohol,
    I just goggled “Pumpkin Brandy Recipes” and found you.
    So I tried one that I heard recently, with little success so far.
    I poured about four cups of brown sugar into a pumpkin shell, added a heaping teaspoon of yeast and a cup or so of raisins. Let sit til the shell about rotted, which only took about a week. Then poured the whole thing into a huge bowl. Let sit for two weeks. Then filtered into a large glass jar, where it sits now. It tastes super-sweet, but no “jump” to it yet. I’ll let it wait all winter if I have to.
    Have you found any recipes? Any suggestions for what I should do better?
    Thank you!
    -Martin K turtledove@gmavt.net

P.S.
    You know anything about the fermentation process for kambuka (sp?) mushrooms?
    I used to cultivate them and now want to get back into it; just as a home hobby.
    I added seltzer and fruit juice, and loved it.

11. martink27 on said:

Hi Mr. Alcohol,
    I just goggled “Pumpkin Brandy Recipes” and found you.
    So I tried one that I heard recently, with little success so far.
    Have you found any recipes? Any suggestions for what I should do better?
    Thank you!
    -Martin K turtledove@gmavt.net

P.S.
    You know anything about the fermentation process for kambuka (sp?) mushrooms?
    I added seltzer and fruit juice, and loved it.

12. Mr-Alcohol on said:

Nice to know someone found Pumkin Brandy Interesting! I figured that what you’ve done sounds about right. I would of figured that there would of been water involved? Or did you use water? I am very interested in your outcome. I’ll prob contact you via email.

I will shortly post another for Corn Whiskey / Corn Moonshine as I am testing this out starting this weekend. Wish me luck!

13. PigHater on said:

This site tells you how to make a still.

14. doityrselfer on said:

made my first batch of shine recently. Found a receipe for rum I would like to try but it calls for black strap molasses which is sold at fuel and feed stores. Is anyone familar with this product? I cant find it in my local area……….

15. damepug on said:

i would like a recipe for making rum,any body have one

16. daveallen on said:

hey i would like to know what the tempature of moonshine has to be to drink and what tempeture it has to be to put it in my truck and also if i was to make for my truck what type of wheat corn etc. should i use thanks dave

17. doityrselfer on said:

can anyone tell me a good receipe for apple-pie moonshine? I have recently started the hobby of distilling and I have drank apple-pie before and it is my favorite and I have tried a couple things but it just dosnt turn out like what I have tried…

18. Anonymous on said:

the easiest way to make a still, is use a pressure cooker. where valve is ,on lid take that out. go to hardware store get a fitting that screws into lid and coverts it over to 1/2 copper line,take old 5 gal. bucket,drill hole at bottom. put end of coil out of hole,silicon shut. fill bucket up with water that will be your cooler. still on slow heat, after awhile ya can pretty much figure out how fast you can cook it

19. Anonymous on said:

Hi I am looking for a recipe for making rum, using sugar and yeast, can anyone help me. thanks
    pls email @ daveandmillie@rogers.com

20. does anyone know if you have to cook off your mash in a copper still or can you use stainless steel?

21. Lynyrd Skynyrd on said:

Were can you find good recipe?

22. Lynyrd Skynyrd on said:

Were can you find good recipe?

23. so i have a question, once you make the mash and whatnot and get it to start condensing how do you know when to start collecting it since the first bit is no good?

24. also, does anybody have any suggestions on filtering it?

25. does anyone know how to make apple or peach brandy ? I would love to have the recipe.

26. COULD YOU GIVE ME A RECIPE FOR APPLE PIE MOONSHINE

27. WOULD LIKE TO KNOW HOW TO MAKEAPPLE MOONSHINE

28. WOULD LIKE TO KNOW HOW TO MAKEAPPLE MOONSHINE

29. Picker on said:

Give me an email address Frog,,see if I can help ya out,,

30. Jonny boy on said:

I would like to know how to make applepie moonshine also

31. BIG PAPA on said:

I AM NEW AT THIS AND WOULD LIKE TO KNOW ANY GOOD BOOKS OR SOURCES OF INFO ON PEACH OR STRAWBERRY SHINE ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT

32. Picker, can help me out with the apple pie moonshine too? jcaviletti@yahoo.com

33. clayton on said:

anyone know how to make some good moonshine please e-mail me at xclay2@yahoo.com been looking for days me and my old lady want to try some thanks alot !

clayton & jessica

34. new to the distilling process, and looking for any help that I can get. Could anyone help me with peach or strawberry shine, being cooked in a 2 gal. pot still.Thanks.
    SEBowman1@AOL.com

35. Marion on said:

Looking for recipes for both. Thanks! Please email me at mogrodowski@gmail.com

36. One important thing nobody has pointed out yet:
    Distillation of alcohol for consumption in the United States without a license is still illegal. Federal crime. The agency is called B”A”TF for a reason. And just because you’re doing this as a hobby does not mean that when your neighbor finds out and gets mad at you for some reason and calls the sheriff, that he will accept that as an excuse. Maybe, maybe not. Even if you’re making it for “fuel use”, there are some requirements and limitations. Some states require additives to prevent its use as a beverage.
    I’m not telling you not to do it. I’m telling you that advertising it on a public forum may not be prudent.

Dave K.
    (Comes from 4 generations of Tennessee “hobby” distillers)
    PS: The recipes for corn mash sound about right

37. tonyasmar on said:

Dear All,

i am new to this and i would like to know how to make whiskey from apple @ home as a hobby.

anyone who is interested in teaching me please contact me on tonyasmar2010@hotmail.com

38. I WOULD LIKE TO THE INGREDEENCE TO MAKE MOONSHINE THE OLD WAY

39. teardrop on said:

i would like a fast easy way to make good moonshine

40. teardrop on said:

i would like a fast easy way to make good moonshine

41. toohot809 on said:

I would also like too learn how to make my own drinken alcohal. I am in a remote place with hardly any rescourse so could someone help me out

42. mlb2880 on said:

15 – 16 gal mash barrel, 25 lbs chichen scratch, 20 lbs sugar, 3-4 packets of yeast, fill mash barrel with water, stir daily (everyday) If you have questions, you can email me and I’ll explain if needed.

• brandon on said:

How much will you get off of a 15gal mash? Was needing to know about wood alochol does it start burning off at a set temp/

43. moonshiner on said:

i would love to know how to make decent moonshine just for me and my hicks please hook me up if yu know how

44. georgiaboy on said:

45. georgiaboy on said:

plans for ethonol still and operation instructions for sale. 500 gallons per day. you build your own. 15 page book with all instructions. capoffto@yahoo.com georgiaboy

46. memphisboy on said:

I would like to try making some hooch. Can I get some more detail
    directions on barrel method posted by mlb2880? I’ve priced out some stills on the net and they are a little pricy for me. Thanks.

47. georgiaboy on said:

moonshine and gasohol is the same, gashol is a higher proof. capoffto@yagoo.net georgiaboy

48. georgiaboy on said:

moonshine and gasohol is the same, gashol is a higher proof. capoffto@yahoo.com georgiaboy

49. georgiaboy on said: