Helpmp3 Image002 The carriers tend to hide how to make ringtones so you’ll buy them, but there are a few good resources to make your own. This one is from FunMobile…How do I make mp3, m4a/AAC, wav ringtones? How do I make a mmf ringtone? How do I make a qcp ringtone? How do I make ringtones from CD? How do I make a polyphonic (midi) ringtone? Tons of screenshots and how to action. Link.

Phillip Torrone

Editor at large – Make magazine. Creative director – Adafruit Industries, contributing editor – Popular Science. Previously: Founded – Hack-a-Day, how-to editor – Engadget, Director of product development – Fallon Worldwide, Technology Director – Braincraft.

Comments

1. frank0 says:

this is great and all, but i’d love to know how to do this on a mac — anyone have any idea?

2. salbatore1 says:

yes, This is great and all,But what type of software will I need..and were can I get it?

3. JackDoe says:

You can use Slyye (www.slyye.com) it probably the easiest tool I have ever used. It is also cheaper than anything out there. Slyye is the number one tool to make personalized ringtones.

4. Allison150 says:

The easiest way I have found to make ringtones for my phone is MyxerTones (http://www.myxertones.com). You can upload any song from your computer and customize the ringtone to use the exact portion of the song you want. It works on PC’s and Mac’s. You don’t have to purchase any software or use any cables because the application is right on the Web. They give you 2 or 3 credits just for registering and 4 more credits each time you refer a friend to the site.

5. Jose123 says:

If you have any mp3, wma, or wav files on your computer, you can use Phone Sherpa’s ringtone maker to convert your music into custom ringtones:

They format it for your phone model then send it to you wirelessly. Its very easy to do. Phone Sherpa also has a wallpaper maker that formats any jpg or gif to your exact phone screen size.

Supports macs and pcs. Phone Sherpa also has a free trial offer and a referal program to earn more free credits.

6. VB83 says:

I agree with the first guy, I used the phone sherpa site and it worked great. It was super easy and I didn’t have to sign up for a monthly subscription. My brother has a mac and he said the only issue was with itunes files. He says you have to save them as mp3′s and not let itunes save them as their mp4′s. No software, no cables, no subscription and mac friendly…kick ass!

7. Jazzguitar says:

Well, I use Phonesherpa on both Mac and now on my work PC also. It is awesome – the unlimited bundle is totally worth the money.

I love the simplicity of the experience: simply log in, choose the file you want to upload, select the segment of the song you want to make a ringtone from and then hit “send ringtone to phone”. When you get the text message, you just follow the link (on my RAZR you hit the middle button above the wheel and choose “go to”) and the ringtone downloads and starts playing. From there, you just hit the save button.

I have already downloaded about 20 ringtones and wallpapers using PhoneSherpa and highly recommend it.

8. ZPaul says:

I have to say I didn’t want to bother with another ringtone site because I just haven’t had good experiences with ‘em. I reluctantly tried phone sherpa, and I was so relieved that I didn’t have to download anything. I didn’t have a hard time making my ringtones, which is amazing for me because I have a hard time with my massive tv remote.