A few months ago, I wrote a post about some making a Rube Goldberg Contraption in the forest and we made a fun, but shaky, video. We resolved to do it again sometime. The Discovery Channel stepped in and motivated us to do just that and so with a TV crew on the way, Jesse, Brenda, and I reconvened and came up with some new sticks and stone elements for a new and improved forest machine.
The Discovery Channel guys were great and patient and helped reset the rock dominos and were awesome to work with. We had a total of 24 different events happen in this forest machine! Rube Goldberg contraptions never work on the first try, but we did finally get the whole thing to work after two solid days of work and 124 tries. We didn’t want to have an effect on the environment so we used hundreds of feet of twine and rope. (We did use some nails, but we only put them into branches that we found dead and on the ground. We also used two rusty pulleys that we found – somehow rust justifies using metal in the forest in our minds.)
We’ve got some video of it which I’ll put up soon, but in the meantime you can go check out the flickr set.