I’ve been a fan of SPOT (Small personal object technology) – well, not the implementation and some specifics, but the vision and that it’s a sorta-shipping product (on MAKE we’ve shown you how to get email and RSS feeds on a watch)… There hasn’t been a lot of mention of SPOT watches lately or the SPOT tech inside things to make them smarter, but here’s a new coffee maker from Melitta that uses SPOT to show the weather…
“MSN Direct transmits region-specific weather data via an FM signal straight to the coffeemaker, making it easy to check today’s weather, or upcoming weather, on the large LCD display. It’s a plug-and-play system, so there’s no subscription fee, activation fee, needed Internet connectivity, or fuss (the user must check to see if MSN Direct coverage is available in their area–currently, it’s available in 125 cities in the U.S. and Canada). Within minutes of plugging in the coffeemaker, you will receive weather information specific to your area. The weather data is updated 24 hours a day, seven days a week with the most up-to-the-minute information, and the clock automatically springs forward, falls back, and resets after power failure. The bright blue, backlighted screen doesn’t only feature weather information though. It also lets you easily select your coffee grind and tells you what stage your coffee-making process is at.” [via] – Link.
It’s almost interesting, I’m not sure why they didn’t add other data bits (traffic based on your location, quote of the day, prices of coffee highs/lows) or more advanced options you could config by logging in, or a set that’s fairly universal out of the box… Sure, this isn’t a subscription service like the watches, but there’s not much going on with SPOT it seems, any way – smart coffee machine gadget, fun stuff.
- HOW TO get MSN Filter news (or any RSS) on a SPOT watch – Link.
- SPOT Enabled MP3 Player… – Link.
- Traffic data, on your wrist watch…(A DIY Traffic Gauge?) – Link.
- How Smart Watches Work – Link.
- The Solar Powered Coffee Roaster – Link.
- Hot Rod home coffee roasters – Link.
- Hacking Coffee Machines – Link.
- Coffee Art (video) – Link.
- Homemade coffee roaster – The Uglyroast – Link.
From the pages of MAKE:
- DIY Coffee – The Bottomless Portafilter, Mod your espresso maker’s filter holder for a tastier cup. Hot On The Spot, Get consistent shots by adding precise temperature control to your espresso maker. Automate – What good is a coffee pot if it can’t be controlled from the internet?
- Coffee Roaster – Lots of folks think that quaffing a cup of coffee from boutique beans comes close to nirvana, but roasting your own beans will bring you even closer. That’s why I call this roaster the Nirvana Machine. MAKE 08 – Page 110. Subscribers–read this article now in your digital edition!