F0Ug06R3Z9Ev2Zi0E0.Medium
MadVegetarian writes –

“Why lay down 50 bucks or more for a gate (that has less than a 2′ opening), when you can MAKE exactly what you need for next to nothing?”Link.

Looks like their version lets cats in and out while keeping small humans and dogs in/out.

Phillip Torrone

Editor at large – Make magazine. Creative director – Adafruit Industries, contributing editor – Popular Science. Previously: Founded – Hack-a-Day, how-to editor – Engadget, Director of product development – Fallon Worldwide, Technology Director – Braincraft.

Comments

1. rscottv says:

That actually does not look child-safe to me (I am a pediatrician). The gate looks like it has too much space below it. A child could wedge their head or limbs under it. The crib standard for safe spacing is no more than 2 and 3/8 inches. A safety gate should go almost all the way to the ground.

2. philliptorrone says:

yah, read the article – they mention why they did that.

3. rscottv says:

I did read the article. They want the cat to be able to get under. The problem is that that leaves enough space for a toddler to wedge themselves under the bottom of the gate. I am basing my observation on what I can see in the photos that are with the article. From what I can see, the gate looks unsafe.

4. philliptorrone says:

i saw this:

==
    WARNING: Do NOT use this approach with babies!
    CAUTION: Toddlers will most likely test the gate!
    ==

but telling folks it might not be safe is good, thanks for that.

since the design doesn’t require it to be that high, it can easily be 2 inches or so as you suggested.

5. molly1216 says:

guess you don’t know much about cats and neither to they.
    cat’s will just go over something that small.

6. jswilson64 says:

How ’bout a solid panel with a cat hole (http://www.cathole.com/) in it?

7. KWillets says:

Plywood cut to fit and hinges. Under $20 and haven’t lost a kid yet.