K-4
Spluch writes -

Mitsuoka Motor, a Japanese company, has just unveiled a micro kit car “K-4″, equipped with a 50cc engine on its classical tested sports car body, developed for the do-it-yourself customers in Tokyo. It is composed of more than 500 parts and takes approximately 40 hours to assemble. The Kit-Car measures just under 2.5 meters (eight feet) long and can run at up to 50 kilometers (31 miles) an hour.

Japanese do-it-yourself cars – [via] Link.

Phillip Torrone

Editor at large – Make magazine. Creative director – Adafruit Industries, contributing editor – Popular Science. Previously: Founded – Hack-a-Day, how-to editor – Engadget, Director of product development – Fallon Worldwide, Technology Director – Braincraft.

Comments

1. cchance says:

hmmm ok how about an electric conversion for it? hehe

I mean think about it even if you keep the batterys to only enough for 10-15 miles and the lightweight kit should allow for a wicked little setup and better for the environment :)

I mean if a 50cc can do 31mph what could a nice electric motor do?

Pet supply

2. rich.thomas says:

3. wyandots says:

“Do they have women driving large SUVs and yapping on their cell phones in Japan? If so, I think I would leave this thing at home.”

I beg your pardon? Insanity is pretty evenly spread between the genders.

How about a little diesel engine for veggie?

4. mechanisma22 says:

I would love to have one of these especailly an electric versions, $6000 is a little expensive for probably a 30 mile and hour neighborhood vehicle. It definately would be a fun go kart.

5. rich.thomas says:

“I beg your pardon? Insanity is pretty evenly spread between the genders.”

Maybe I ought to change neighborhoods.

–R