rainBarrels.jpg
Rain barrels are easy to make and conserve both water and money. This tutorial, and the longer one it links to, shows you how.

Build your own rain barrel to conserve water and save money – Link

Gareth Branwyn

Gareth Branwyn is a freelancer writer and the former Editorial Director of Maker Media. He is the author or editor of a dozen books on technology, DIY, and geek culture, including the first book about the web (Mosaic Quick Tour) and the Absolute Beginner’s Guide to Building Robots. He is currently working on a best-of collection of his writing, called Borg Like Me.

Comments

1. Fenwick says:

I’ve heard that rainwater is supposed to do miracles on your hair.

2. Vermin says:

Absolutely. My hair (and I have a lot of it) was never shinier or healthier than when washing with water from a rainwater tank.

3. Whamodyne says:

I made one of these a few months ago, but not nearly as pretty. You can see my DIY on it at:

4. jeff_duntemann says:

Interestingly, where I live (Colorado Springs) it’s literally against the law to save your rain runoff, even if it’s coming off your roof and out of your gutters. I’m not sure if this is a Colorado state thing, or a local legal weirdness, but it’s worth a little investigation if you intend to do this sort of thing on a biggish scale.

–73–

–Jeff Duntemann
    Colorado Springs, Colorado

5. Chris says:

I made one with barrels that stores 600 gallons:
    I spent less than 5 cents a gallon! it’s fun!

6. GMan says:

I just bought a terracota rain barrel online, but it looks fantastic in my garden!

Guys, check this out (pictures from my blog):