gpsOnStar.jpg
In this PopSci “Void Your Warranty” piece, MAKE contributing writer Dave Prochnow shows you how to use an old OnStar GPS unit on a laptop computer with free software, no subscription required.

Raising GPS from the Dead – Link

Related:

• OnStar Projects – Link
  • OnStar eavesdropping – Link

Gareth Branwyn

Gareth Branwyn is a freelancer writer and the former Editorial Director of Maker Media. He is the author or editor of a dozen books on technology, DIY, and geek culture, including the first book about the web (Mosaic Quick Tour) and the Absolute Beginner’s Guide to Building Robots. He is currently working on a best-of collection of his writing, called Borg Like Me.

Comments

1. volkemon says:

As a mechanic, this is pretty cool. But whats the VIU thats referred to? I have a pro repair program, OnDemand5, that cant find this item. There is a VCIM, or vehicle communication interface module, referred to in a 2003 chevy tahoe…maybe thats it? I think so. They (mitchell OD5) refer to the two modems inside, the cellular and GPS module.

Hidden behind the right side of the dash. I’ll keep an eye on this post, if anyone has questions as to where the VCIM is I’ll try to post an answer. I gotta try this- GPS on the cheap!

Do you know where the VCIM is on a 2005 Chevy Tahoe?

Well, was wandering through….lucky you.

Let me throw a few tea leaves out…….

It appears to be behind the passenger side airbag, much like the 2003. The view shown to me is of the instrument panel, but viewed from the ‘backside’, not the view one would have in the passenger seat. I assume that the dash assy pulls away easy….there will be two ‘boxes’, one near the bottom, the other on the same level as the airducting to the door. Top box is VCIM, and bottom box is digital radio reciever.

Volkemon (jic comments arent fully tested yet…changes!)

4. Raymond Frazier says:

Do you happen to know where the VCIM (Onstar) is on my 2008 Chevy Tahoe?

5. Raymond Frazier says:

Do you happen to know where the VCIM (Onstar) is on my 2008 Chevy Tahoe?

6. Raymond Frazier says:

Do you happen to know where the VCIM (Onstar) is on my 2008 Chevy Tahoe?

7. Ray says:

Do you happen to know where the VCIM (Onstar) is on my 2008 Chevy Tahoe?

8. Volkemon says:

Hi Ray!

You following this thread? I have coverage to 06 or so, but it might be the same…