This video shows you how to make a simple cook stove out of little more than two soda cans, some fiberglass, and Heet (the gas-line anti-freeze).

Make a DIY Portable Stove – Link

Related:

• Penny alcohol backpacking stove – Link
  • HOW TO – Build an emergency heating stove – Link

Gareth Branwyn

Gareth Branwyn is a freelancer writer and the former Editorial Director of Maker Media. He is the author or editor of a dozen books on technology, DIY, and geek culture, including the first book about the web (Mosaic Quick Tour) and the Absolute Beginner’s Guide to Building Robots. He is currently working on a best-of collection of his writing, called Borg Like Me.

Comments

1. samurai1200 says:

I freaking LOVE it!!!!!!!

2. samurai1200 says:

p.s. can you re-soak the fiberglass or is it altered in the process?

p.p.s. will it blend?

3. NK5 says:

Thanks for posting my video!

The fiberglass can be used for years in this fashion. It is extremely important that it is there to prevent spilling or spraying while the stove is in use, as this is a pressure based stove.

Denatured alcohol is the most efficient burning fuel, but is a little bit harder to find than Heet. Most gas stations carry Heet.

You can also burn everclear and 91% isopropyl alcohol. NO petroleum based liquids – it will explode. Use alcohol based only.

There are much better alcohol based can stoves out there, but this one is by far the easiest to make.

I have a couple of other great how-to videos on my web site

4. rabagley says:

I have made several of the much simpler Pepsi-G stoves http://www.pcthiker.com/pages/gear/overviewpepsiGstove.shtml that are simpler and use alcohol (methanol or ethanol) for fuel. The stoves work great and the fuel is easy to find. My only difficulty is that I have yet to find a compact heat shield that won’t melt. I melted the thick aluminum that MSR provides for heat sheilds…

5. CNCProgrammer says:

If you like this you might be interested in this (IMHO).

6. TheDude06 says:

I have made a few of these too! One of the numerous benefits is that you can carry the fuel in a plastic bottle of any type, it does not react with many materials.
    The “fuel” also has other uses besides the obvious cocktail :)

7. Marked says:

Denatured alcohol can be found in the paint section of hardwear stores.

8. olivia says:

I’m going to make one of these soon, but I was wondering, is there a substitute for fiberglass if I cant find it? Also, how safe is it to breathe in soaked fiberglass and heet?

9. camper trailers says: