Angela writes -

This is a video of my take on the automated Etch-A-Sketch. It’s an EAS that automatically draws out the time then erases itself, every minute. It’s built on the Arduino platform and references Scott Fergerson’s awesome CNC EAS as well as Douglas Jones’s excellent site on steppers.

Etch-A-Sketch clock on Revver – Link

Related:

Control an Etch-A-Sketch with a serial mouse – Link

James Lebron Etch-A-Sketch art – Link

MAKE VIDEO PODCAST: Computer Controlled CNC Etchasketch – Link

Collin Cunningham

Born, drew a lot, made video, made music on 4-track, then computer, more songwriting, met future wife, went to art school for video major, made websites, toured in a band, worked as web media tech, discovered electronics, taught myself electronics, blogged about DIY electronics, made web videos about electronics and made music for them … and I still do!

Comments

1. Tom says:

Anybody know where I can buy an etch-a-sketch online ? Can’t find any shop with one around here

2. Anonymous Maker says:

FYI, it’s LeBron James. James is his last name. Try doing a little research there Collin.

3. Dave says:

next step

make the etching thingy count the seconds as it tracks left under the numbers

something like every 20seconds it ticks down and makes a small vertical “v”

kinda like this

v———–v———-v———-

time it so that right when it reaches the last “v” the whole thing tips over and begins the cycle anew

That’s one of the most amazing Make projects I’ve ever seen. It’s a frigging work of art. Belongs in a contemporary art museum. Just fantastic.

5. espi says:

Truly awesome. I was thinking about if I should want one or not, and thing as great as it is, I wouldn’t want it in my office, the thing tipping every minute would be horrible. I totally agree this is an art tech piece and should be treated as such by the designer. Accolades my man, fantastic, bravo.

6. Kev says:

“Try doing a little research there Collin”

Christ, what an asshole.

7. Mark says:

Now that you’ve got a working model, it would be cool to see it do something fancier with the actual display of the time, or do something a little larger that fills up more of the screen. I’d figure that 20 seconds of drawing time would be okay, if it takes 20 seconds to flip and clear (which it doesn’t), that gives you 20 seconds to view the time each minute.

8. MS says:

As soon as it is available to purchase, I will buy. stephens01234 AT gmail.com Let me know when and where.

9. Al says:

This is a comment

10. Bozo says:

Add another motor to drive an impeller inside the Etch a Sketch, to blow the powdered Aluminum around. This way you don’t have to tip it over to erase.

saw a piece like this in 2003-2004, made by Pete Froslie: http://www.froslie.net

link to an interview here: http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2007/10/interview_with_pete_frosl.html

pretty cool stuff