Parker writes –

This video is great, and not just for the overwhelming kitschiness of it. This man’s set-up is incredible, and he obviously invested a ton of time and energy into his “beast in the basement.”

Yaknow, I’d always wondered what the best way to simulate a Chinese gong was – never thought of using an real-life gong (that bird didn’t seem too life-like tho). Seriously, an incredible setup – this would’ve been a great feature @ Maker Faire ~1960! [via]

Collin Cunningham

Born, drew a lot, made video, made music on 4-track, then computer, more songwriting, met future wife, went to art school for video major, made websites, toured in a band, worked as web media tech, discovered electronics, taught myself electronics, blogged about DIY electronics, made web videos about electronics and made music for them … and I still do!

Comments

They all thought I was crazy! But I showed them! I SHOWED THEM!

2. Balu says:

Damn, I wanna know :)

3. Collin Cunningham says:

good, question.
    Could you imagine buying a house and finding that in the basement?
    (I’d probably be stuck playing with it for weeks!)

4. meh says:

Interesting that he didn’t actually “make” the organ himself. He salvaged it – and installed it in his basement.

5. meh says:

The man’s name is Leon Berry. He did not “make” the organ, he acquired it from a theater that was closing and installed it in his basement. A google search shows that he died in 1996 and was well known for playing in various venues around Chicago.

6. Philip says:

I can’t imagine any new owner of Berry’s home leaving a mess like that in the basement. The home would be a tear down or major gutting for sure. Pipe organs may appeal to the really old folks, but to a younger generation pipe organs are merely dinosaurs. There’s more high tech in a tiny circuit board made today that can make a plethora of sounds, rather than some four ton pipe organ that’s about as high tech as a lava rock.