Light Emittin Wallpaper

A reader writes in -

An enterprising young designer from the Netherlands has invented what has to be the ultimate in home illumination – light emitting wallpaper.

Hmm, from looking at the pic above, I’m guessing he’s not too excited about it – Techradar goes on to explain some of the contruction elements -

“The base material is made from a commercially available product that’s manufactured by a number of companies. What I have done, though, is to apply that technology in a different way.”

Delving deeper, Samson revealed that the wallpaper is constructed by “sandwiching” a number of layers together that combine to produce light:

“The back layer is a silver-based solution that conducts electricity, while the layer above this contains phosphorous pigments that light up. On top of this is a flexible, transparent ITO conductor layer, with regular wallpaper placed on top to act as the final, outwardly visual layer,” he explained.

- Light-emitting wallpaper set to wow

Collin Cunningham

Born, drew a lot, made video, made music on 4-track, then computer, more songwriting, met future wife, went to art school for video major, made websites, toured in a band, worked as web media tech, discovered electronics, taught myself electronics, blogged about DIY electronics, made web videos about electronics and made music for them … and I still do!

Comments

1. thesamurai1200 says:

Phosphorus? ITO?

Why not just use electroluminescent panels? I’m sure there’re white ones out there…

2. Collin Cunningham says:

@thesamurai – Do i smell a remake?

3. athousandleaves says:

so, this being make and all.. how would one go about MAKING their own light up walls???
    anyone, anyone?

4. meh says:

Funny. We get put in our place for expecting make to have substantial content, being told “not everyone is an expert.” Yet it takes a fair bit of expertise to actually do something with the “wouldn’t it be great for a remake” comments.

Me? I’d prefer laser cut window shades, and cheap wall coverings.

5. Collin Cunningham says:

@meh – cheer up! Thesamurai was the one who suggested an alternative method to constructing this light-up wallpaper – and hey, you’re right – I’m not an expert on electroluminescence or wallpaper. I’m sure some of our readers must be though.

6. Collin Cunningham says:

@athousandleaves – from what I can google, electroluminescent panels are readily available and pretty easy to use but quite expensive. ~$90USD for a quality 8″x11″ piece.

If you’re interested in experimenting without breaking the bank you could try removing a somewhat dim version from a cheap light-up keyboard. I’ve done this myself and used it as a hacky bit of decoration in my office space – not very bright but still fun!

7. thesamurai1200 says:

so i found this distributor for “e-lite” EL stuffs.

sizes up to D (23 x 35 inches) for $450, or $850 with inverter.

yikes. a whole room could be upwards of $20k or more… crazy.

8. Thank you for this great idea!

9. Thank you for this great idea!

10. Thank you for this great idea!

11. Thank you for this great idea!