md-pumping.jpg

I was searching the web trying to learn more water pumps for a future project when I came across this great website. It details the making or a ram pump. I am amazed at the lack of a motor or any user input. I wish I had a stream near by to try it out!

This is a pump that uses the power of water flowing downhill to deliver a supply of water to a much higher level. Pumps like this are relatively easy to build at home, for very little cost.

Learn how to make a Ram Pump

Marc de Vinck

I’m currently working full time as the Dexter F. Baker Professor of Practice in Creativity in the Masters of Engineering in Technical Entrepreneurship Program at Lehigh University. I’m also an avid product designer, kit maker, author, father, tinkerer, and member of the MAKE Technical Advisory board.

Comments

1. keith says:

Would be great plans were available

2. keith says:

Take a look at this link from Clemson Univ.

3. PopeRatzo says:

So how much ram does this pump require? Can it run Vista?

4. Monsignor Funkibut says:

http://www.homepower.com has several articles on ram pumps and their uses. I believe one includes plans.

5. Marc de Vinck says:

@Monsignor Funkibut

Thanks for the link, it’s a great site with a lot of info.

6. Pekar says:

I’ve built several hydraulic ram pumps using these designs. I highly recommend the Clemson design using a tilting swing check valve over the more fiddly modified spring check valve in the other designs.
    Swing check valves can be expensive in larger sizes.
    check Ebay, or plumbingsupply.com
    Everything else should be readily available.

7. Karik Mize says:

It is really interesting..I would very much like to make one for my farm where a flowing stream is available nearby.. But I am not sure whether I will be able to build the valves correctly? any suggestions pls!

Can I just say what a relief to find someone who actually knows what theyre talking about on the internet. You definitely know how to bring an issue to light and make it important. More people need to read this and understand this side of the story. I cant believe youre not more popular because you definitely have the gift. acompanhantes| putas

9. lovely says:

please help us..im from philippines….we need to make an ramp pump… we dont know where to start.. that hydraulic ramp pump need electricity?…we have a low budget and its for our little farm use….please help us how to assemble and gave us picture.