I can’t find any documentation for this, nor can I help posting it.

I assume it’s a hardware hack that manually controls the floppy drive’s stepper motor, but it’d make my day if this was done in software using standard I/O requests. Either way, the 3.5 inch FDD finally serves an important function again.

Star Wars Floppy Disk

Comments

1. Nosey Nick says:

My Amiga was doing this in the late 1980s, what’s the big deal? Is this just yet more evidence that the Amiga was decades ahead of the rest?

2. Hiddensoul says:

And the commodore 64 was doing it before the amiga

3. John Wesley says:

Are you guys really starting a commodore-amiga flame war? Sheesh…

4. garga l says:

totally photoshopped! obbiously!

5. TyLLy_4 says:

You can’t seriously be that stupid garga.

If anything they just taped the sound over the video or somthing ….

let me guess

“This looks shopped, i can tell from some of the pixels in the screen and seen quite a few fotochopz in my time”

LAWL

Great post

you have been stumbled upon, you have been liked upon

6. trace says:

Haha.
    You can’t seriously be that stupid TyLLy_4.

The “OMG FAKE PHOTOSHOPPED THE REFLECTIONS ARE WRONG!” is one of the most common joke comments period.

(See: http://xkcd.com/331/)

7. Scot says:

That’s Bigfoot’s floppy. I want to believe.

8. Malcolm Harnden says:

Yep my Miggy was doing this an other tunes, it never broke the floppy but certainly annoyed my brother.

9. arleas says:

I wouldn’t say it’s a flame war. But it’s true. They developed a way for the Commodore 1541 drive to do this long before the Amiga drives would do it.

They always put the warning “Don’t do this too often in case it breaks your drive!”. I’ve also heard people use printer motors in a similar fashion.

All you have to do is figure out which commands to send to the drive to get the note you want and then put all the commands in sequence. I think it was probably more tricky on the commodore 64 because the 1541 had its own motherboard and processor.

google “1541 stepper motor music” and you’ll see what I’m talking about though…

10. James M says:

He is right, try google for “stepper motor music”

Or try the following link

11. Upshaw says:

While figuring out how to do bitmapped graphics on my old 8-pin dot-matrix printer attached to an AppleII I realized how musical it was. Ended up removing the print ribbon, and hanging the paper from the ceiling to act as the soundboard. All done in BASIC. :)

12. kailashkumar says:

Basically, a Floppy Drive reads and writes knowledge to a little, circular piece of metal-coated plastic just like audio tape.