Wow, check out this homemade tiny BBQ fits in your pocket… looks like it was made from an Altoids tin…

Phillip Torrone

Editor at large – Make magazine. Creative director – Adafruit Industries, contributing editor – Popular Science. Previously: Founded – Hack-a-Day, how-to editor – Engadget, Director of product development – Fallon Worldwide, Technology Director – Braincraft.

Comments

1. tekvax says:

…and, Does it actually light up? and heat anything?
    If it doesn’t, there’s three and a half minutes of life I’ll never get back… ;>)

Dan

2. Aud1073cH says:

Well, fire that thing up, lets see it grill!

looks like it would be perfect for a single serving of buffalo wings. (you know, the package that says “serving size: 2 wings”)

3. Tom Johnson says:

There seems to be a trend in the making suggesting that an Altoids tin is the most valuable technology of our era. See http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2008/07/31/travel/0801-SURVIVAL_4.html

I can’t believe I spent time watching that. What a waste of time.

5. Craig S says:

What is it with Europe and techno? And a little subtitle telling how or if this bbq actually lights, would have been nice.

6. Tibialmusician says:

So it looks neat but I would have preferred some explanation of how it lights and burns as well as how it chars dice onto my oscar myer weiners >.> <.< Because burning pictures onto food always makes it taste better.

Hopefully you guys will keep us posted?

7. Michael Fusion says:

okay, how long do you have to wait until you put it into your pocket after using it?

who has a pocket big enough to fit that spike into?

what is the fuel source, i saw an ash drawer, but nothing to get ashes from the top to the bottom?

once again, what pocket are you going to fit that spike into?

also what is a stricker?

however, that all being said, i’ve got a few ideas i’m going to jot down for something that actually works, but an altoids tin will never stand up that much heat. perhaps something that can withstand heat?

responces to michaelfusion@gmail.com

m.

LAME! I spent 3 minutes waiting for it to actually grill something. Or at least make some smoke. OK, I would have settled for it getting warm. Imprint dice? I’ll believe it when I see it.

I want my 3 minutes back.

9. d says:

Don’t bother waiting for actual bbq. It never happens. I can’t believe Make Blog featured this waste of time.

10. User1 says:

Oh boy, where do I start? I guess I should have looked at the comments before I viewed this. This was a whole lot of nothing! Would have made a great April 1st video, but it’s not April 1st, is it Make Magazine? I’m thinking by the third video we’ll see this thing in action? Thing is, you think you’ll have an audience by then?

11. Bananna says:

would have loved to see that baby fired up to throw a couple shrimp on the barbi.

12. SF. says:

I don’t care if it fits in my pocket considering it is very unlikely to be capable of roasting food. I think the author didn’t actually show it in action for a reason…

13. SF. says:

14. SF. says:

15. Ok whiners…check out this one. I think it is a better design anyway!