Lauriemudflaps2
From the MAKE Flickr photo pool

At first glance, you might mistake these as the next trend in customized vehicle accessories, but these personalized mudflaps are actually part of Steven Laurie’s ongoing art piece -

The mud flap project is an experimental body of mixed media works designed to brand my art making practice and connect to new audience members. Operating as both functional and aesthetic accessories, these flap works will be installed on 55 tractor-trailer trucks and carried across Ontario, Canada and the U.S.A.

Certainly seems an effective way to get your name out there! – Steven Laurie – Mud Flap Project, 2008 on Flickr

Collin Cunningham

Born, drew a lot, made video, made music on 4-track, then computer, more songwriting, met future wife, went to art school for video major, made websites, toured in a band, worked as web media tech, discovered electronics, taught myself electronics, blogged about DIY electronics, made web videos about electronics and made music for them … and I still do!

Comments

1. dschep says:

At first I thought this was some sort of joke about Steven Fry and Hugh Laurie of ‘Bits of Fry and Laurie’, among other things.

2. Jason says:

If the goal is marketing, I think this fails badly. I first thought it was two first names, and have no idea what that picture is supposed to be above the name. If I saw this on a truck, I would assume it was the names of the people that drove it, or a name connected to the trucking company.

3. Gerry says:

What are those…. leaf blowers?

If I saw those on a truck I’d assume Stephen and Laurie had a lawn service company.

Epic fail…

4. mike says:

I also thought they were two first names as in a husband/ wife trucking duo. The icon doesn’t work at that scale, I have no idea what it is.

5. mike says:

It would be much be much better to see them in context rather than in his arms.
    Its hard to tell how they would read with several feet of space and undercarriage between them.

6. lucky says:

Hard to say if they work for marketing without seeing the truck, but they’re pretty cool all the same.

7. Steven Laurie says:

Here is a pair of mud flaps on a 2008 Peterbilt tractor trailer.