Simple, commonplace and absolutely vital to our electronic world – take a closer look at the current-fighting backbone of circuitry, the resistor!

Download the m4v file or subscribe in iTunes

The resistor really is a deep and rich topic to explore. There were a number of topics I would’ve liked to cover in this video, but unfortunately there’s only so much time – here’s a few items that sadly, didn’t make the final cut -

• DIY ribbon controller

• How to read resistor values, in depth
  • How a potentiometer works, and it’s variants
  • How to use/apply Ohm’s law
  • The Drawdio kit/project
  • dissection of a resistor
  • how to use a light-dependent resistor

I’m curious – what would you have included? Anyone care to post their own additions/corrections/reactions/contemplations/etc in video-form? If so please send us a link!

Collin Cunningham

Born, drew a lot, made video, made music on 4-track, then computer, more songwriting, met future wife, went to art school for video major, made websites, toured in a band, worked as web media tech, discovered electronics, taught myself electronics, blogged about DIY electronics, made web videos about electronics and made music for them … and I still do!

Comments

1. stuart | oomlout says:

Sorry to be responding in a non video based format, but I loved it.

My only sadness is there was no circa 1980′s science film animations of electrons being resisted.

2. Collin Cunningham says:

no apology necessary, text is also gladly accepted

funny, I had considered such animations. I will boost science-film priority for the next production.

3. Tim says:

Would have been nice if you’d cut one open to see what they are like inside.

Kind of reminds me of ‘Look Around You’ which is an awesome satire of those 70/80′s science programs.

4. Yingster says:

I love this video. I am just starting out to learn electricity through hobbyist model kits and I know absolutely nothing about electrical stuff. I was just looking at the resistors in the kits I bought today, and wondering what they were, because they are so colourful. Thank you very much for putting the video together. =)

5. Spikenzie says:

I particularly like the improvised constructions in your videos. Like making a LED with a pin and “rock” and this time, a resistor from paper and pencil. Good job!

6. follower says:

How about showing what happens when you leave the resistor out of the circuit with the LED?

I would agree with opening some resistors up and having more animations.

–Phil.

Awesome video! I love this series of electronic basics, especially the history. Keep up the good work!

8. Sergey Chernyshev says: