I’ve often considered Electro-Harmonix the coolest mainstream manufacturer of effects pedals and this new product is further proof. The Voice Box is both a vocoder and harmonizer unit with mic and instrument inputs. Along with built in reverb, tone control, and phantom power this unit provides “gender” changing options. From the product page –
The harmony processor creates 2- to 4-part harmonies directly from your vocals, in the same key as your accompanying instrument. Studio-quality reverb lets you independently add depth to your dry and harmony vocals.
The focused 256-band articulate vocoder, designed by the same EMS genius who made vocoding famous, features adjustable harmonic enhancement and controllable formant shift.
- Harmonically matches any electric instrument you plug into it
- Professional quality pitch shifting algorithm produces realistic harmonies
- The Low & High Harmony independently produces two harmony notes: 3rd and 5th
- 9 accessible programmable presets
- Natural Glissando
- Gender Bender knob allows for male/female formant modification
- Built-In Mic Pre with Phantom Power & Gain Switch
- Balanced XLR Line Output: Interface directly with any mixing board or A/D converter
- US96DC-200BI power supply included
This device seems prime for experimentation(ie – input swapping, etc), and @ around 200USD seems quite a value. Check out the “user generated videos” tab on EH’s site for my examples of what the box can do – Voice Box | Vocal Harmony Machine/Vocoder