Alex, of Tinkerlog, writes:

The Problem:

atBoard012109_1.jpg

Whenever I was prototyping on a breadboard I was annoyed by all the wires to setup before the actual project could begin. Arduino projects were much easier. The 6 pin ISP (In System Programming) header alone was troublesome. Make an adaptor to plug a 3×2 pin header on a breadboard. Then cut short wires and connect the controller to the header. Which pins are what? MOSI, MISO and SCK? So I decided to do it only once more.

The Solution:

atBoard012109_2.jpg

These little breadboard headers are very handy. They occupy only one more row on each side as a controller would need.

ATtiny breadboard headers

Gareth Branwyn

Gareth Branwyn is a freelancer writer and the former Editorial Director of Maker Media. He is the author or editor of a dozen books on technology, DIY, and geek culture, including the first book about the web (Mosaic Quick Tour) and the Absolute Beginner’s Guide to Building Robots. He is currently working on a best-of collection of his writing, called Borg Like Me.

Comments

1. anachrocomputer says:

Nice neat little PCBs, and well photographed, too. But it’s a shame that they take up two extra rows on the breadboard. Why not use wire-wrap sockets, and then route the PCB tracks down the inside of the two rows? Then, you could plug the wire-wrap spills into the breadboard and it’d be no wider than the chip! Might need fairly fine tracks, but with a commercial PCB fab house, that should be OK.

2. guyfrom7up says:

Then how would you plug in the chip? It’d have to be double decker!

3. anachrocomputer says:

The wire-wrap socket is just like a normal DIP socket, but with much longer pins. The chip would plug in as usual on top, but the pins would go right through the PCB and then on into the breadboard.

4. Dale Wheat says:

I came to the same conclusion, anachrocomputer! Here’s a post about my version of this idea on AVR Freaks from just over four years ago:

I have a new version with a keyed, shrouded header that’s just about ready for release. See my web site for more information.

5. mikkel reven says:

Actually I do not see yr solution (not even sure I saw yr problem)  all I see is a bigger board replacing a smaller one