petaminx1.jpg
petaminx3.jpg
petaminx4.jpg
petaminx5.jpg
petaminx2.jpg
petaminx6.jpg

This incredible dodecahedral “Petaminx” twisty puzzle was all hand-cast, hand-assembled, and hand-colored (okay, “hand-stickered,” but still…).

The Making of the Petaminx

Gareth Branwyn

Gareth Branwyn is a freelancer writer and the former Editorial Director of Maker Media. He is the author or editor of a dozen books on technology, DIY, and geek culture, including the first book about the web (Mosaic Quick Tour) and the Absolute Beginner’s Guide to Building Robots. He is currently working on a best-of collection of his writing, called Borg Like Me.

Comments

1. zof says:

This should be titled “And you thought an 8 sided puzzle with 72 colored squares was hard to solve.”

On a side note I have a feeling the person who designed this would be an expert at torture.

2. Zach says:

Zof, I want to know where you buy puzzles, I recall a fun 6 sided puzzle… with 54 colored squares… but the almighty eight sided puzzle has eluded me all these years..

3. Zach says:

Thank the heavens for you Disjunto! My life dream suddenly becomes a reality

4. Briman says:

I suggest you leave the corners and center of each side black to make it harder to solve.

5. conor says:

This has so many practical uses, like a butt-plug, a medium-light throwing missile, a paperweight, a dog’s toy, a fake eye for giant squid and even as an effective stroke inducing ‘stubborn nerd’ killer. Alas, it will most likely remain forever a humble impossibly difficult puzzle for one man and a talking point for the millions who stumbled upon this like myself. how boring.

6. Faye says:

Where can I buy this creation, I am in the uk, please email me on jamminonthemoon@yahoo.com if you know and I would be most grateful
    x