meteoTechLaunch1.jpg
meteoTechLaunch2.jpg
meteoTechLaunch3.jpg
meteoTechLaunch4.jpg
meteoTechLaunch5.jpg
meteoTechLaunch6.jpg

Meteotek is a Spanish high school project to build a meteorological sounding balloon equipped with temperature and pressure sensors, GPS, radio, and a still camera. They had a successful launched on February 28, 2009. Their Flickr pages are in (Catalan) Spanish, but the photos speak for themselves. It’s just endlessly amazing to me that the technology now exists for amateurs, high school kids even, to be able to reach into space. Check out that back seat space command center!

Meteotek 08

Gareth Branwyn

Gareth Branwyn is a freelancer writer and the former Editorial Director of Maker Media. He is the author or editor of a dozen books on technology, DIY, and geek culture, including the first book about the web (Mosaic Quick Tour) and the Absolute Beginner’s Guide to Building Robots. He is currently working on a best-of collection of his writing, called Borg Like Me.

Comments

1. Anonymous coward says:

Having spanish as a first language, I was surprised when I found the website difficult to understand… turns out it’s written in Catalan.

2. garethb2 says:

Hah. Yeah, it didn’t look like the Spanish I had in high school, I knew that. Then I thought it might be Portuguese, but it didn’t appear to be that. Catalan! Of course. I added a clarifier in post.

3. Borja says:

Spain have at least 8 other oficial languages besides spanish. For example ,I speak Catalan and Spanish, but i’ve friends that speak Catalan, Spanish, Aranes, and few words of Euskera. I’ts amazing how many languages we have!!

4. Diógenes says:

La verdad que menuda estupidez hacer la página en catalán y en inglés y no en español.

Para ser tan currantes y conseguir enviar un globo a la conchinchina habeis quedado como unos pepinos redactando la página, honestamente. Todo el mérito que os dio una cosa os lo quitó la otra.

Saludos cordiales.