13inteardownb.jpg

Ifixit got ahold of a new MacBook Pro 13″ and are posting the teardown as they take it apart and explore what’s inside.

MacBook Pro 13″ Unibody Teardown

Gareth Branwyn

Gareth Branwyn is a freelancer writer and the former Editorial Director of Maker Media. He is the author or editor of a dozen books on technology, DIY, and geek culture, including the first book about the web (Mosaic Quick Tour) and the Absolute Beginner’s Guide to Building Robots. He is currently working on a best-of collection of his writing, called Borg Like Me.

Comments

1. hurf durf says:

Why is this article here? Is MAKE: officially a mac fanboi site? Stop it.

1. Becky Stern says:

We post all sorts of teardowns, not just of apple products. A quick search above yielded teardowns of the Palm Pre, Peek Email Reader, Nintendo DSi, Sony XEL-1 OLED TV, Eee PC, and a OLPC XO laptop. Makers like to see how things work, and like Keith said, we’re inspired by how things all fit inside those tiny packages.

2. Keith Neufeld says:

Hurf durf, why would you not want to see how something is made? Especially why would you not want to see whether something described as an incremental advance is only incrementally changed on the inside or is radically redesigned inside and only looks similar on the outside?

Even though I’m never going to design a laptop computer, seeing how it’s done — how to pack things tightly into the available space, how the pros mount things to the case and to each other, etc. — gives me ideas for my own projects.

If you’re not interested, just don’t click on the link, ‘kay?

1. Edward Ireland says:

Not good for much else. Now you can really see how overpriced and under capable they really are.

2. Adeptus says:

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a single positive comment from him. Ever.

Most bitter guy, ever.

Tear downs are great. They make for great reading, and my wife won’t kill me for taking her’s apart.

3. RocketGuy says:

iFixit provides supplies for you to do your own DIY repairs/upgrades on Apple gear.

I happen to really like most of apple’s products, and hate their stance on things such as drm, and general openness, so it seems win-win to me. Good hardware, DIY’ed.