Father’s Day is Sunday, June 21, 2009. Started by Sonora Dodd to honor her father who raised five children alone after the Civil War, President Coolidge supported the idea, Lyndon signed a proclamation, and in 1972 it was official.
The MAKE team has put together some ideas for gifts to make, buy, and give this Father’s Day. Got a story about a dad in your life? Post it up in the comments. Click through to read our huge guide!
Is Dad’s back crooked because of his massive old wallet? Get or make him a new one this weekend and encourage him to lighten spine-wrenching load. Or at least to move it to the front pocket.
- integrated Moleskine wallet
- laser-etched Braithwaite wallet
- something to go in Dad’s wallet: Knot reference wallet card
- help Dad avoid sniffers with the RFID shielding wallet
- make him a wallet using recycled/thrifted leather
- sturdy shopping bags make great wallet material
- if Dad’s a history buff, use the silhouette of his favorite figure to make a wallet
For an understated nod to Dad’s makerdom during fancy occasions, he’ll need a pair of cufflinks. Check these out for inspiration for what to buy or make:
Grilling and Food
There’s some primal reason Dad loves fire and meat, usually together. Build him a smoker, a grill, or show him how to brew his own beer for the perfect BBQ.
- microwave oven (case) smoker
- terra cotta Condo-Q DIY smoker
- revive a gas grill from near death
- if Dad’s old profession was journalism (mine’s was), make a newspaper box grill
- check out this solar oven roundup
- get Dad preserving and canning with a book called Well-Preserved
- make Dad his own charcoal chimney
- look up your local homebrew shop and get Dad a beer kit
Ties are a classic Father’s Day gift. Spice it up by buying handmade with an emphasis on Dad’s personal style.
Gifts for Dad from MAKE!
DIY for Dad
Get dad a MAKE gift subscription with our special Father’s Day promo code and get four issues for $24.95 – a great deal! Gift subscriptions come with automatic notification to Dad, but you can also print out this PDF card for the occasion. Pictured above is MAKE editor-in-chief Mark Frauenfelder building a robot with his daughter Sarina on the cover of Volume 10.
It wouldn’t be Father’s Day without tools!
- “Make: Open Sourcerer” Leatherman Juice CS4 Tool.
- MAKE: Warranty Voider – Leatherman “Squirt” P4 (plier version).
- MAKE: Warranty Voider – Leatherman “Squirt” E4 (electronics version).
- help Dad store his small parts in these mini mint tin toolboxes.
- Editor’s Choice Electronics Bundle (MintyBoost, MiniPOV, Drawdio, TV-B-Gone, Maker’s Notebook together and discounted)
- soldering and game programming with the Meggy Jr RGB kit
- Arduino controlled SERB robot kit
- Mini-Theramin kit
- Getting started with Arduino kit
Maker Shed Gift Certificates
Can’t decide what to get, or just want Dad to pick something out? Maker Shed gift certificates won’t disappoint. No expiration, no fees, just pure maker joy.
Share your Dad stories in the comments below!