geekGlasses1.jpg
geekGlasses2.jpg

Inspired by the sartorial geekiness of Bre Pettis and Cory Doctorow, this enterprising desktop fabber printed out his own glasses on a Makerbot.

Glasses by langfordw [via adafruit]

Gareth Branwyn

Gareth Branwyn is a freelancer writer and the former Editorial Director of Maker Media. He is the author or editor of a dozen books on technology, DIY, and geek culture, including the first book about the web (Mosaic Quick Tour) and the Absolute Beginner’s Guide to Building Robots. He is currently working on a best-of collection of his writing, called Borg Like Me.

Comments

1. mark says:

why is it that every guy on Make seems to be trying his hardest to prevent himself from getting laid?

1. Becky Stern says:

I’ll have to agree with PT on this one, all the really enthusiastic makers I know tend to attract others with the same quality. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: as the only regular female writer for the blog, geek guys rule! So do those glasses.

2. Phillip Torrone says:

@mark – quite the opposite. every girl and guy in the “MAKE” world from my experience and observation has a wonderful social and love life. these are very social folks that have no problems finding other makers to spend time with, besides i cannot think of a better ice breaker besides “oh, the glasses? i printed themselves with my 3d printer, would you like to go check it out?”

1. sab says:

I’m a maker but it doesn’t mean i have an urge to make self look like a dork or a fool. also i have no urge to make pointless crap, half the stuff on this blog is so pointless, i have to search through it for the actual interesting projects. great a portrait of bill cosby in jello shots, really worth my time.

1. Gareth Branwyn says:

We try to appeal to a broad range of interests and skill levels here. That’s going to guarantee that pretty much everyone finds stuff they like AND stuff that doesn’t interest them. For the latter, that’s what your scroll bar is for.

3. Marc de Vinck says:

These are the people that are pioneering the future of fabrication. Think about 10 years ago if I said I was going to print my glasses? Flash forward 10 years form now. This very same maker might be printing the frames and lenses in a few minutes. Better than waiting 3 weeks like I do now. Who knows what the future brings, but you may be looking at a sneak peak of things to come.

4. Mig says:

Have to laugh at the first comment. Yeah some stuff on here I like, some I don’t but that was funny as flip.

I also feel sad that anyone would take style cues, or any other advice from Cory Doctorow.

Just to recap also, how many people have a laser cutter? This is just to see becasue I don’t know anyone who has but maybe they’re more common in the US than the UK…?