dash_cam.jpg

Poking a hole in his commercial iPhone window mount with a Dremel tool was all it took for Tim Cox to be the proud owner of a brand new dash cam. Goes to show that not all good hacks need to be complicated. Sometimes all it takes is finding the right spot and poking a hole to see what’s on the other side.

Adam Flaherty

I make cool stuff and write about other people making cool stuff on makezine.com. If you have something you think I should see, send me a tip.

Comments

1. bigtallstu says:

This would be brilliant for the augmented reality stuff that’s beginning to pop up on the iPhone

2. craig says:

Obstructed vision. $119 fine. Have a nice day.

1. Adam Flaherty says:

California’s GPS Windshield Safety Act allows you to mount your “GPS” unit on your windshield. Technically you’re supposed to mount it in approved areas.

Here’s a link with more information… http://gps.about.com/b/2008/09/30/windshield-mounting-of-gps-legalized-in-california-but-theres-a-catch.htm

Also, consider checking with your local officials to determine the legality of something in your area if you are unsure.

3. Captain Obvious says:

Doesn’t it have to be mounted on the dashboard to be a _dash_ cam?

Just sayin’

1. Adam Flaherty says:

I don’t think it has to be mounted to the dashboard to be a dash cam. A name can be completely arbitrary, like Captain Obvious, for instance.

Since the mount is flexible, I’d say DOWN a few degrees would make the scene a little easier to view. I kept raising my neck to see lower. (Unconsciously, of course.)

6. Great innovation, cool item.

7. witnessphoneapp says:

Nice job.  I use my iPhone as a dash-cam all the time – just 99 cents gets a useful little app that gives you speed, GPS location, etc and stops you filling up the memory.  Mounting hasn’t always been easy though…maybe I need to get my drill out….