MotorAssistBike.jpg

Last weekend I saw this neat bike at the beach. The frame doesn’t look like anything special, but the wheels, tires, brakes and other components have clearly been upgraded. Attached to the lower end of the frame is what appears to be a chainsaw motor, which drives a heavy duty chain set on a gear on the left side of the rear wheel. It seems that the traditional features of the bike are all intact. The gas tank probably holds enough gas to ride for several hours. Though the exhaust is directed down and away from the rider, it’s probably a loud ride.

I shot several pictures, but have no info on the build.

Chris Connors

Making things is the best way to learn about our world.

Comments

1. ATxshooter says:

A few years ago, an enterprising guy started importing these Chinese clones of a Russian two-stroke engine that was used for decades to motorize bicycles. Motored bicycles are extremely efficient users of gas. Averaging well over 150mpg at 25 mph. Twice the average speed of a normal bike. If you live in a rural to suburban setting these engines can truly liberate you from your car. For pure urban areas, electric motored bikes are the way to. Good tires, wheels and 12ga spokes are a must. You can get away with caliper brake but front disc brakes are highly recommended.

1. Chris Connors says:

Indeed this looks like a kit. Seems like an interesting way to extend the range of your bike. It also appears that you can get an electric assist kit for your bike. Neat options.

2. remer says:

it looks like an engine similar to this
    there are places all over the interenet that sell these little 2 stroke kits. I built one a while back and my only regret is buying a 49cc motor instead of the 89cc one.
    the kits are generally from china and component quality is sometimes an issue. I know several people who have seized their pistons because of inaccurate tolerances.

3. Dennis says:

My Dad just got that exact kit, same fuel tank, same motor, same exhaust and hooked it up to a bike so he has his own wizzer.

4. acidrain69 says:

I have one of these (slightly rounder head version, not the square head, but the entire drive, clutch, carb, fuel etc mechanisms are the same). Not a chainsaw motor. I think I spent about $200 on ebay for mine (just the engine kit, not the bike) Very cool. Supposedly they go up to 35mph, but I’m a tall, big guy and have only had mine up to 25mph (a little scary at that speed). That’s a nice bike, they really made everything black. The only problems I have had with this little motor was a failed spark coil thingie (HORRIBLE to troubleshoot, because the plug was giving spark, just not enough to ignite the fuel), and the chain jumps off every once in a while on a bumpy road, which some people have fixed by making their own chain stay using a chiselled rollerblade wheel. Some of the parts feel very cheap. I recommennd replacing the throttle with something a little less plasticy.

5. Randy Hays says:

Whizzer and EZ Motorbike Company make 4 stroke versions of these bikes. Four Strokes use regular gas.

Whizzers were originally made in the 30′s and in 1943, the only new vehicle Americans could by was a Whizzer Motorbike. (Defense workers only). Whizzers have lights and horns and 138CC engines on a real heavyduty beach cruiser bicycle

6. Simon says:

These are available in New Zealand too so they must be common.

1. M. Werner says:

Check out:

The motored bike forum. Plenty of information, links, how-to’s, videos, etc.

I’m building up one from an old two-stroke snowblower engine.

7. sm says:

1976-78 AMF Roadmaster with “rugged little engine” (McCulloch BHE 900)

8. sm says:

1976-78 AMF Roadmaster with “rugged little engine” (McCulloch BHE 900)

9. Zee says:

Can you still pedal this if the engine is turned off?

10. steven says:

Had two
    both 89cc. not very safe. get the larger gear for it. lets you almost take off without pedaling first.
    try and not use the chain tentioning wheel if possible.
    it put a lot of undo chain bending.
    both bikes where 26in, the one with the stock gear could hit 40mph.
    the other with a larger gear not much slower but easyer to start moving.
    a front brake is a must.

11. steven says:

you can pedal the bike with clutch in, but there is a lot of drag because your turning the motors chain then.
    I used a single speed bike with the hub style brake in back.
    and useing a moutain style bike you have to pull in the clutch to lock in the clutch to coast. not fun.
    and there is some newer kinds now that have a pull start.
    and 4 stroke not twocycle would be the way I’d go now.

12. Chad Smith says:

49cc is a must in missouri as you don’t have to have register or license the bike. also a helmet is not manditory. anything above 49cc though requires a license…not sure what the laws are in other states.

13. craig says:

It appears that the motor side rear sprocket does NOT ratchet, and the housing on the motorshaft area is too small for a centrifugal clutch, so I would guess no. You cannot pedal this bike without the engine running. It is likely direct drive. In fact, you pedal to start the engine and brake to kill it, no pull start or kill switch needed. And yes, in most states an add-on motor of 49cc or less with pedal power left intact IS legal for street use. Over 49cc is the limit.

14. bike Bags says:

It’s going to be end of mine day, except before finish I am reading this great
    paragraph to increase my knowledge.