LP bottle basket.jpg

Junktion is a boutique in Tel Aviv featuring locally-made recycled products. Recyclart put me on to these cool baskets made from chopped up liquid propane Freon gas bottles.

Sean Michael Ragan

I am descended from 5,000 generations of tool-using primates. Also, I went to college and stuff. I write for MAKE, serve as Technical Editor for MAKE magazine, and develop original DIY content for Make: Projects.

Comments

1. Big Daddy Dave says:

Looks like Freon to me…

//hint: “refrigerant”

1. Well obviously the one on the left is. But I’m not sure why one would assume that they all are. My impression on further Googling is that the conical guard is, in fact, distinct to refrigerant bottles, however, which is something I did not know at the time. Thanks for keeping me on my toes.

2. Shadyman says:

R12 :)

1. Thanks for the correction. Fixed!

Just a note .. cutting up propane bottles that were ever used is a good way to get hurt. As noted in the previous comments those are bottles that held non flammable gases like refrigerant and helium. Please edit the article to remove the reference to propane (LP), before somebody gets the bright idea to try and cut up an actual propane bottle.

1. The Snob says:

obviously you need to be sure they’re *really* empty, and not just “not enough gas to light the grill.” A good way is to empty the tank, remove the valve and fill it with water which will force out any gas.

It should be common sense–always assume the electricity is on, there’s gas in the tank, and the gun is loaded, and then take positive measures to deactivate whatever-it-is.

4. Simon says:

Yes, cutting up an empty inert gas tank is a totally different thing to chopping up a used LPG tank. Cutting into any used gas tank can be a dangerous thing.

5. Keiji Kawashi says:

Those bottles don’t look like they needed any recycling! Judging by their condition they probably could’ve been refilled before they were hacked up to make art. There’s a difference between readymade art and recyle-art. This is readymade: creating something new out of an otherwise useful object.

1. To be fair, one can’t reliably judge the condition of a gas bottle by its appearance. What matters is whether it leaks or not. I don’t know anything for sure about the history of these items, but copy on the Maker’s website strongly implies all of their items start out as “junk.”

2. Will says:

Actually, those all look like one time use refrigerant bottles. The US DOT, who regulate portable pressure vessels, says its illegal to reuse certain cylinders. Generally the reusable ones are more solid. Also, each different color is a different refrigerant.

6. Hurf Durf says:

Would have been better as scrap metal than future landfill baskets.