It would seem that Adobe has squeezed Flash onto the iPhone. It is not in its usual guise as a browser plugin, but rather as a method to build full-fledged apps downloadable from the iPhone App Store. This should come as good news to folks familiar with the popular content creation software. In one fell swoop Adobe has lowered the barrier of entry to developing for the iPhone.

Adam Flaherty

I make cool stuff and write about other people making cool stuff on makezine.com. If you have something you think I should see, send me a tip.

Comments

1. Apis says:

My recommendation would be to not waste your time with proprietary, crippled, bloated, programing-language-ish applications.

Yeah, why would you EVER want to make something in a program that allows your app to be viewed by MILLIONS! O.o

2. vincent says:

So what is your recommendation? Objective-C? I would choose Flash anytime.. :)

3. icebrain says:

MonoTouch allows developers to create C# and .NET
    based applications that run on Apple’s iPhone and
    Apple’s iPod Touch devices, while taking advantage
    of the iPhone APIs and reusing both code and libraries
    that have been built for .NET, as well as existing skills.

1. ThreeBean says:

I think you are missing the point of this.

Flash will now allow you to build and code once for games that can be played both on the internet (browsers) AND on iPhones. I have clients that will really appreciate that!

That is something that currently existing dev paths cannot do.

Hurray for Adobe! They did not bully their plugin onto the iPhone, instead they choose a better path!

4. Apis says:

@Anonymous: ?
    @vincent: It’s your choice. Although learning objective-c/c++ would be infinitely more gratifying and useful for other things than iphone “spank the monkey” game development.
    @TreeBean: You would need a very different user-interface for an iphone app and an application running in a web browser. (But I’m sure that won’t stop most people.)

1. ThreeBean says:

I do get that some games/apps would need reworking for user interface, but in the video he showed a game that works rather well in both environments. Many games/apps could work rather well with minor reworking.

Point is, there are tons of people out there doing flash development and this will open up the iPhone to them without forcing a flash plugin onto the iPhone.