I’m not sure if this isn’t more rightly called “paper sculpture” than origami. True it uses only one sheet of paper and there are no cuts, but, well…watch the video and you’ll see what I mean. Besides getting to see the mushrooms themselves, which are almost photo-realistic, it’s worth it to see how a master with 20 years of experience moves his hands. [via Boing Boing]

Sean Michael Ragan

I am descended from 5,000 generations of tool-using primates. Also, I went to college and stuff. I write for MAKE, serve as Technical Editor for MAKE magazine, and develop original DIY content for Make: Projects.

Comments

1. Maha says:

That IS amazing. The finished mushroom looks so life-like.

O…….M……G……–So cool!!! Definitely paper sculpture rather than origami.

3. malachus says:

I’m not sure what you guys are considering the difference between “paper sculpture” and “origami” to be.

Origami comes from root words meaning “fold” and “paper”. Although crumpling isn’t what one generally thinks of as “folding”, it is a process that creates a series of creases in the paper. Creases are the results of folding paper. So, by my logic, crumpling is just a method of folding.

To approach it from the other side, all origami is paper sculpture, so the only way to argue that this is “paper sculpture rather than origami” is to argue that this is not origami…

1. Andy L says:

“Origami” is usually understood to consist of a series of precise, planned, individual folds and creases.

1. malachus says:

Understood by whom?

4. Toadstool says:

I thought when he put it on his head he was going to go, “See, I’m a mushroom!”.