geekClock.jpg

Now that’s a geeky clock!

GeekCook

Gareth Branwyn

Gareth Branwyn is a freelancer writer and the former Editorial Director of Maker Media. He is the author or editor of a dozen books on technology, DIY, and geek culture, including the first book about the web (Mosaic Quick Tour) and the Absolute Beginner’s Guide to Building Robots. He is currently working on a best-of collection of his writing, called Borg Like Me.

Comments

1. Nick Utschig says:

Log(55) is ambiguous – but if log base 10, the answer is ~1.7

What they meant to use for 4pm is ln(55) ~= 4.007

1. d4m* says:

if you’re a computer geek…let take those examples:

$ perl -we 'print log(55)'
      4.00733318523247

Those should be enough… :-P

2. zola says:

geekcook的产品?顶一个。抢占沙发,哦耶。

3. Scott_T says:

g=10, dont get that one?

1. Sheng Jiang says:

g is the standard gravitational acceleration of a particle free falling on the earth, or 9.8 m/(s^2)

1. John says:

9.80665 ~= 10. And no, I didn’t look up g to get those digits, and I don’t know the 0b notation.

A “geek” would use trig functions in radians, degrees are for high school freshmen.

If I really want to get picky, when is -5 o’clock?

And though it’s been discussed, log(55) is approximately 1.7. The lazy design of computer programming languages does not get to change mathematical convention. There are so many things computers do wrong mathematically, start by looking for “machine epsilon”. So to do proof by “my computer says so” shows more ignorance than I’ve seen for a long, long time.

i think 0b is supposed to be in hexadecimal.

1. Ben Bradley says:

It’s surely SUPPOSED to be, but that doesn’t mean it IS. Interpretation of such a string is language dependent, but in C (ghod bless k&r) a numeric string that starts with 0 is interpreted as octal, thus it should be 013. The ‘b’ is the correct hexadecimal digit for decimal 11, but hexadecimal constants in C start with 0x, thus in C it should be 0xb to indicade 11 decimal in hexidecimal.

Methinks this clock face could use some debugging. It once again reminds me never to buy Version x.0 of anything.

And I’ll probably have to also never buy Version x.1 once manufacturers figure that out and start labeling new major releases as x.1.

4. unigamer says:

I found this randomly after seeing this post:

Similar design with a few changes.

5. graphmastur says:

I don’t get 4:00 or 7:00.

I think it was supposed to be LN(55) not log(55)

I really don’t get 7:00.

1. Z says:

7:00 is 6.9999999999… 9 is repeating.