jetpackMartin.jpg

According to a piece on GOOD:

A New Zealand outfit called Martin Aircraft Company is going to start selling commercial jetpacks for about $75,000. They’re 200-horsepower dual-propeller packs that can “reach heights of up to 2,400 metres and top speeds of 60mph” and don’t require a pilot’s license. Look for pill food and robot butlers soon.

[via HacDC mailing list]

Flying into the future: New Zealand company to make personal jet packs

More:

Gareth Branwyn

Gareth Branwyn is a freelancer writer and the former Editorial Director of Maker Media. He is the author or editor of a dozen books on technology, DIY, and geek culture, including the first book about the web (Mosaic Quick Tour) and the Absolute Beginner’s Guide to Building Robots. He is currently working on a best-of collection of his writing, called Borg Like Me.

Comments

1. Kenneth Mackay says:

The pic is clearly a small model.

I remember this myth being busted on Mythbusters a few years ago. I believe it was episode 32.

2. Kenneth Mackay says:

Perhaps it’s not busted then.

3. Gareth Branwyn says:

Yeah, as much as I adore Mythbusters, I learned awhile ago that just because they couldn’t get something to work doesn’t mean it’s not workable.

4. charliex says:

re mythbusters. what about eric scott ?

i like yves rossys version of it better, a lot safer, but not really the same thing

1. Simon says:

I think the Mythbusters myth was testing you could make a jet pack from plans off the Internet. This is something that’s been developed over 10 or more years with lots of capital behind it.

5. Simon says:

No, it’s real. And it has got some government funding down here.

As a tax payer it helps to know where they are spending our tax money!

6. Marc de Vinck says:

I still want my Hydrogen Peroxide version….even if it only works for < 1 minute!

Remember that episode of Lost in Space?

7. Gareth Branwyn says:

I wrote an article for Discovery Online in the nineties about the original Hydrogen Peroxide belts and got to talk with many of the folks (still alive) who were involved in that.

You can read the piece on my old tech site, Street Tech:

8. Carnes says:

It should be possible, there are tiny helicopters that you can carry (though very heavy). Here is a homemade one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7D31WGnKTUE
    It’s practically a helicopter backpack.

9. MadRat says:

I didn’t see the flight duration which means either it wasn’t there or I’m highly unobservant. Did they say how long you can fly with this thing?

10. zombieite says:

if it uses propellers, isn’t it better-described as a fanny pack?