For those working on the Make: Robot Build, I thought you might get some inspiration from this cylindrical robot, just posted to Let’s Make Robots. It basically uses a plastic skin on the outside to create a bumpable surface. It’s not actually made of CDs, and it’s a little larger than CD-diameter, but most of its ideas are transferable to the CD material and formfactor. I like the use of a cassette tape roller as an idler wheel, and for its drive train, it uses the Tamiya dual motor gearbox I talked about in the last issue of the robot build newsletter.
Speaking of the newsletter, the fifth issue went out today. It discusses robot control systems, namely microcontrollers and motor drivers. If you’re not signed up, hit the Robot Build landing page to subscribe, and to catch up on back issues.
- Noah’s and Jamie’s CoasterBot
- Make: Robot Build project blogs
- Round-up of coasterbots from around the internet
- Makers are starting to work on their coasterbots…
- Rules for Roboticists
- Gentlemakers, start your robots!
- Gear up for the Make: Robot Build, sponsored by Jameco