Find all your DIY electronics in the MakerShed. 3D Printing, Kits, Arduino, Raspberry Pi, Books & more!

MZ_AltTransportation-Badge.gifMAKE reader Sophie sent us pics and details of a bike her boyfriend Eric converted to a motorized bike. Eric writes of the build:

The first part off this project was to restore an old Schwinn Cruiser I found. I stripped it down to the frame, took off all of the old paint, and sprayed it a nice blue. The handle bars, which I turned upside down, were the only part that were in good enough condition to reuse. I got the other parts like wheels with extra spokes and a banana seat from internet finds on eBay and various other sites. I then ordered a 66cc 2-stroke engine kit online for $120.00 from It came with just about everything you need to convert any bicycle to a motorized bike. Before this project I didn’t have any experience with this stuff but it was pretty easy to install. It gets up to 150 mpg and cruises around 35 mph. Overall, it was a fun little project and it’s a great new way to get to work.

[Thanks, Sophie!]

Custom Motor Bicycle

Gareth Branwyn

Gareth Branwyn is a freelancer writer and the former Editorial Director of Maker Media. He is the author or editor of a dozen books on technology, DIY, and geek culture, including the first book about the web (Mosaic Quick Tour) and the Absolute Beginner’s Guide to Building Robots. He is currently working on a best-of collection of his writing, called Borg Like Me.



  1. s0crates82 says:

    I wish I could do the same, but they don’t sell kits to California residents. Stupid CARB.

  2. craig says:

    Most everywhere, an add on motor with pedals remaining intact IS LEGAL as long as the motor is 49cc and smaller. Any bigger than that and it qualifies as a moped that requires registration as a motor vehicle. BUILDER, stamp a ’49′ on the block somewhere to state that is is legal if you get stopped. he,he,he.

  3. Festilligambe says:

    If anyone is interested in doing this on Ontario it is a big grey area if you can even have then on the road. Not sure about the rest of Canada but anything under 80cc is considered a limited speed motorcycle meaning you need at least a license for that, a helmet and insurance to have it on the road. Scooters need to be inspected but mopeds don’t need a safety inspection so if you can get plates for it it’s possible you could ride this. But I’d at least convert a newer bike with disk brakes because I’d not trust any other type with those speeds.

  4. Oliver says:

    Great build! Is 80cc’s street legal in Oregon?