charcoal_grill_naval_mine.jpg

I am usually immune to the yen for expensive man-cave trophies, but I gotta admit: I would have a great time standing over this thing with a beer in one hand and a meat fork in the other explaining to my guests how my fancy grill was handmade in Estonia from recovered naval mine casings.

The artist is Mati Karmin, and he also makes furniture, baby carriages, and toilet stalls, inter alia, from the same material. For the record, it looks like the mines he uses were de-milled by the Soviet Army a long time before he got hold of them. [via Neatorama]

More:

Sean Michael Ragan

I am descended from 5,000 generations of tool-using primates. Also, I went to college and stuff. I write for MAKE, serve as Technical Editor for MAKE magazine, and develop original DIY content for Make: Projects.

Comments

1. craig says:

It is a historical irony that Dr. Cochrane would use an instriment of mass destruction to grill up some mighty tasty burgers.
    I love how it has that 50s “Buck Rogers” space sci-fi look to it.

2. SleepyCatChris says:

Am I being too paranoid in that I’d worry about what was exactly used in the making of those mines and if cooking in them would potentially release some kind of toxic fumes?

1. Sean Michael Ragan says:

His site describes how the explosive was “burned out” of these mines by the departing Soviet Army in 1990. One would hope that he’s doing his own high-temperature burnout and solvent cleaning as part of his manufacturing process, but I dunno. If I ever got one, I think I’d conduct my own burnout operation just to be sure. That should take care of any nasty organics that might remain. There may still be weird metals and whatnot, but if they don’t come off as vapor during a high-temp burnout, they’re prolly not going to come off during cooking.

Just don’t, you know, smear your steaks on the inside walls of the thing. And also don’t hold me liable, whatever happens. =]

3. Tim Harris says:

where does one get dismantled mines?

4. Tim Harris says:

where does one get dismantled mines?

5. Tim Harris says:

where does one get dismantled mines?

6. Tim Harris says:

where does one get dismantled mines?

7. Tim Harris says:

where does one get dismantled mines?