Folks have already started experimenting with Instructable user mikey77′s silicone caulk / cornstarch mixture called “Oogoo.” This heart-shaped ice cube mold was made from the stuff by Briton Greg Tudor, who cast it around a polymer clay positive. A finished ice cube is to lower right.
Greg comments on his difficulties with the stiff consistency of the cornstarch / caulk mixture, which seems like an opportune time to mention a comment on last night’s Oogoo post from W. Aaron Waychoff, who claims to have had success using glycerine as an additive instead of cornstarch. [Thanks, Greg, and Aaron!]
- Choosing a silicone for casting soft button arrays
- Printable molds for casting monolithic button arrays of any size
- Soft-setting adhesive putty
- Ask MAKE: Silicone sticks to what?
- HOW TO – Make a waterproof mp3 player & headphones