You know what’s scary? I mean, really scary? That it’s less than 2 weeks ’til Halloween. If you’re planning on submitting an entry to our excellent DIY Haunts Halloween prop contest, I hope you’re making lots of progress!
If you haven’t heard, DIY Haunts challenges makers to create the ultimate Halloween decoration that utilizes sound, light, and movement to scare the candy corn out of the kiddies. Our elite winners will earn themselves Jameco Electronics and MAKE/Maker Shed prizes. If you’re interested in participating, check out the contest landing page for complete rules, an archive of our weekly contest newsletters, as well as links to tons of inspiring, spine-tingling projects.
Speaking of newsletters, #5 has just hit the tubes. In it we learn three different ways to add audio to an Arduino project. First, we share some details about the Audio Player Shield Kit from the Maker Shed. Then, we highlight Haunts judge Jared Martin’s explorations with triggering a MP3 player with an Arduino. Finally, Make pal Pat Arneson describes how to hack a Saw Sampler. All three of these are great ways to add sound to a Halloween project.
If you’re not getting the newsletter, here is the form:
Finally, as the deadline of Midnight, November 2nd looms, you’ll want to submit your entry. All you have to do is follow this link and fill out the form.
DIY Haunts Prizes
- Grand Prize: The Grand Prize Winner will receive one Stingray Robot, one MAKE magazine Halloween Issue, $50 Gift Certificate redeemable at Maker Shed, and a Jameco Electronics T-shirt. Total estimated retail value of Grand Prize is $374.94.
- Second Prize: Second Prize Winner will receive one Lego Mindstorms kit, one MAKE Magazine Halloween issue, and a Jameco Electronics T-Shirt. Total estimated retail value of Second Prize is $304.94.
- Third Prize: Third Prize Winner will receive one MAKE Circuit Breaker Leatherman ES4, one MAKE Magazine Halloween Issue, and a Jameco Electronics T-shirt. Total estimated retail value of Third Prize is $60.99.
DIY Haunts Newsletters
- DIY Haunts Newsletter, Dispatch #1
- DIY Haunts Newsletter, Dispatch #2
- DIY Haunts Newsletter, Dispatch #3
- DIY Haunts Newsletter, Dispatch #4
- DIY Haunts Newsletter, Dispatch #5