cockpit1c.jpg
cockpit4c.jpg
cockpit3c.jpg

I love this gaming cockpit that stows away in an ottoman, posted to an Australian overclocker’s forum. The builder writes:

Wanted to make it fully adjustable for other people to be able to use, therefore the seat, gearstick and steering wheel all push forward and are locked down with wing nuts and pins.

The dimensions are 1500mm x 500mm x 500mm. I am 180cm so fits me pretty well. I used 18mm MDF to build it.

Only takes me a couple of minutes to set it up to use. I put some timber feet on the box and sanded them real smooth so it glides easy over the carpet. Then take the lid off, put the steering wheel into position and insert the locking pins, plug in the power and USB and away I go.

All in all I am really happy with how it has come up, yeah there would be a few things I would change if I built it again but for a first run it works a treat, plus it doesn’t look too bad in the lounge room. Another plus is that there is plenty of room inside it for storage too.

My Ottoman Racing Cockpit

Gareth Branwyn

Gareth Branwyn is a freelancer writer and the former Editorial Director of Maker Media. He is the author or editor of a dozen books on technology, DIY, and geek culture, including the first book about the web (Mosaic Quick Tour) and the Absolute Beginner’s Guide to Building Robots. He is currently working on a best-of collection of his writing, called Borg Like Me.

Comments

1. Simon says:

That is a really excellent idea. Good thinking about making it all adjustable too. Personally I’d put the brake and throttle pedals closer together for better heel/toeing but then I’m weird :)

2. kerowhack says:

This is truly brilliant: a wife/girlfriend-approved way to geek out. I think many things that are posted here are conceptually wonderful, and from a technical standpoint well executed, but sometimes are not designed with aesthetics or non-tinkerers in mind. Obviously there is nothing wrong with that. Some makers just aren’t concerned with such matters, while for others it may just be a prototype or work-in-progress, or maybe there is an issue with limited funds, time or resources. Tastes vary from person to person, and one man’s trash is another’s treasure etc. (insert your own cliche here). However, I cannot help but have an extra bit of admiration for someone who goes the extra mile and makes something like this which specifically acknowledges that not everyone is really into the PVC and duct tape aesthetic that we pride ourselves on, and that some people just want something that looks pretty normal.

Maybe we should all take a few minutes to think about the Maker widows who put up with the long hours spent in the garage, the side trips to odd places like junkyards or electronic supply houses on vacation, the clutter of a work space in progress, the “only a little one” fires and other accidents, the sometimes trying experiments that interfere with daily life, the “5 more minutes” an hour agos, and the amount of money spent on what some would consider to be useless junk. Anyone who can put up with us, let alone support or even collaborate in our efforts, is a very special person indeed, and the sort of consideration shown here would be the perfect way to say “thank you” to our SOs. Maybe Make could do a feature on Normal Person Approved projects?

3. jimbo64 says:

That is AWESOME. Kudos

4. Brad says:

It’s an automan!

5. James Morgan says:

hey baby, wanna check out my ottomon 5000?

6. James Morgan says:

hey baby, wanna check out my ottomon 5000?

7. Shift on the left?  Oh Australia.  Nuttin.  This setup is BOSS.  Nice work mate.

8. Seribro says:

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!