MAKE reader gnomic had a sweet deal on a new robo mower, FREE – you just had to come up with the best idea – and here it is!
Adam, Congrats! You Won! You idea had the greatest combined technical and social merit. I hope that you use this as a prototype and perhaps even produce a DIY version. As an owner of 2 dogs, I’d buy one for my back yard!
Here’s the winning idea:
Idea: Robotic poop grabber
- Cull parts of it that are unnecessary (blades and extra engines). My brother-in-law will probably re-use these for his own robotic lawn mower project (with GPS, stick cleanup, etc)
- Add inexpensive elementry object identification gear (for object recognitiion).
- Add some sort of inexpensive, pay as you go cell phone + gps to phone home, if it is stolen.
- Add ability to pick up dog poop
- Deploy at local dog park in Omaha to clean up (as dog parks are typically covered in stuff that owners leave behind).
- It will advertise the local hackerspace (Omaha Maker Group), which is trying to grow.
- It will improve a public space
- It *should* save the city money as public employees currently have to do this
- It should help cut down on disease transmitted (dog-to-dog) by feces (worms, giardia, etc.)