Jeri shows how to build directional radar from satellite dish LNB’s. She’s making her own TSA body scanner.

Phillip Torrone

Editor at large – Make magazine. Creative director – Adafruit Industries, contributing editor – Popular Science. Previously: Founded – Hack-a-Day, how-to editor – Engadget, Director of product development – Fallon Worldwide, Technology Director – Braincraft.

Comments

1. pricehouse125 says:

For which do we need then one more National Missile Defense?

2. pricehouse125 says:

For which do we need then one more NMD?

3. John Maushammer says:

wow, great video!

I’ve got one of those hotwheels radar guns – it uses a simple microcontroller to count the pulses, so I’ve been interested in the raw signal like she shows. I wonder if better processing could get you better sensitivity, or the ability to track two objects at once.

Sadly, the biggest thing stopping me is the insane number of screws on this device – they are all glued in behind plastic bits, too, so you basically need to use a dremel a whole lot before you can take it apart.

Can’t wait to see more of the series!

1. Simon says:

Blast, the video is blocked at work so can’t see it yet but if we’re talking about the same Hot Wheels radar gun (the orange one) there are instructions here on how to get to the signal wires without destroying it: http://www.edparadis.com/radar/#thebest

I should do something with mine too!

2. JACK says:

HI I’AM JACK IM THINKING OF MAKING A STALLITE THAT WILL HAVE A CAMER AND A RADIO AND I WANT TO PUT A COMMUNICATION SYSTEM AND A CONTROL SYSTEM AND MAYBE CREATE A PROGRAM THE WILL PROTECT MY STALLITE FROM HACKERS A BAD ONE. ONE THAT WILL GIVE THEM SICKNESS THE MOMENT THEY TRY TO GET IN I WANT IT TO ABLE TO FORMAT EVERYTHING FROM THEY PC WHILE THEY TRYING TO GET IN MY PC PLEAES GET BACK TO ME . MY EMAIL IS 0766820074@VODAMAIL.CO.ZA

4. TotalMonkey says:

Nice Williams Brothers hat, but it only counted as “Genius” if it had said “Public… Defender.”