The latest Google Android reference phone from Samsung, the Nexus S packs in all of the latest must-have features into a sleek and trim package. The latest operating system, near field communication for transactions, a super fast CPU, and a gorgeous Super AMOLED screen combine to make this one snazzy gadget. The folks over at iFixit were kind enough to snap one up and tear it apart to everyone’s amusement. Here are some highlights:
- 1 GHz ARM Cortex-A8 Hummingbird Multimedia Applications Processor based on the ARMv7 architecture.
- It’s not just an optical illusion, the Nexus S is smiling at you! This is the first smartphone to feature a Contour Display, meaning the display glass is slightly curved to be more comfortable for users.
- We used a plastic opening tool to peel the NFC module off the back cover. According to Google: “Nexus S can read information from ‘smart’ tags, or everyday objects that have NFC chips in them. These can be anything from stickers and movie posters to t-shirts.”
- Interestingly, the two cameras share the same connector on the motherboard and can be removed as a singular unit.
- Google describes it as a “…curved glass screen…”, however that may be misconstrued to mean a curved Super AMOLED display, which is a bit misleading.