MZ_Electronics-NoLogo.gif

MAKE pal Jeri Ellsworth has produced the first two in a series of A to Z electronics videos, sponsored by Adafruit. Here are A is for Ampere and B is for Battery (I think I watched too much Sesame Street as a kid).

Jeri Ellsworth’s YouTube Channel

More:
Check out all of our Electronics Skill Set pieces

Gareth Branwyn

Gareth Branwyn is a freelancer writer and the former Editorial Director of Maker Media. He is the author or editor of a dozen books on technology, DIY, and geek culture, including the first book about the web (Mosaic Quick Tour) and the Absolute Beginner’s Guide to Building Robots. He is currently working on a best-of collection of his writing, called Borg Like Me.

Comments

1. Maker Dino says:

Ha!
    Seriously, I’m really liking this series. You’re making it fun to learn, and I’ll bet you’re having fun making them.
    Keep up the good work as always. :)

Give your cat a scratch on the chin for me. \^..^/

2. theophrastus says:

Delightful! Thank you.

Will Adafruit sell a compilation DVD once you finish Z for impedance? If so, sign me up!

1. Geardaddy says:

Z can’t be inductance. By the time Z rolls around we’ll already have hit Capacitor, Inductor and Resistor. I vote Z is for Zener Diode!

1. Geardaddy says:

Sorry – meant impedance.

3. amasci.com says:

If you see 0.85V on a home-made electric cell, it means that one electrode is zinc (or zinc plated.) Go search on info about the chemistry behind the “lemon battery.” Since fruit juice isn’t zinc chloride or copper sulfate, apparently the battery is driven by zinc oxidation, and the copper electrode doesn’t participate much in the chemistry.

1. theophrastus says:

It’s not likely Zinc. that would give a voltage of around 1.1V with Copper (for example see: http://dl.clackamas.cc.or.us/ch105-09/calculat.htm )

I would guess it’s more likely a (Cu-redox = 0.34) so: 0.34 – 0.85 -> -0.51 which is somewhere between Iron (-0.41) and Chromium (-0.74) and what do you know… many stainless steels (like many washers used in plumbing) have an Iron/Chromium mix.