This month’s Open MAKE/Young Makers program is Saturday, Feb 19th at the Exploratorium in San Francisco. The theme is cardboard. Featured makers will be interviewed by MAKE’s Dale Dougherty in the McBean Theater between 1 and 2pm.
This month’s makers are:
- The Cardboard Institute of Technology has been building a large installation in the Tinkering Studio since the beginning of the month. They will share their progress and host a “building with cardboard” workshop.
- Surfer and laser-cutting artist Mike Sheldrake will bring some of his amazing surfboards made with a cardboard core.
- Los Angeles artist Ana Serrano will talk about the incredibly detailed cityscapes she builds out of cardboard, inspired by real neighborhoods.
- Puppeteer Dan Tran-Caffee makes giant articulated puppets out of cardboard (some require as many as 6 people to operate!): he will bring some and have them roam around the museum all day long.
- And also keep an eye out for the giant cardboard robot costumes by Jason Lentz!
See the Exploratorium’s Tinkering Studio website for more info.