iPad Oscilloscope

For iOS device owners that mess around with electronics, Oscium recently announced the release of the iMSO-104 mixed signal oscilloscope for the iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch. The hardware, which connects via the dock connector, doesn’t ship until the end of April, but you can download the iMSO app from the App Store now and try it out in demo mode. And if you’re unfamiliar with oscilloscopes, this primer by MAKE’s own Collin Cunningham is the perfect place to start. [via Engadget]

Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson is a San Francisco-based creative technologist and Contributing Editor at MAKE. He’s the co-author of Getting Started with Raspberry Pi and the author of Getting Started with BeagleBone.

30 Responses to Turn Your iOS Device into an Oscilloscope

Your Thoughts?

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

1. I now think an iPad is in my future.

2. This is a toy. If you want and oscope, but a real one…

3. Cool, but how about for the more open and maker friendly Android OS?

4. Anonymous on said:

I do a fair amount of utility field work that requires a recording analyzer, if this thing had 3 analog channels instead of the one I’d be sold.

5. Does it pass the data into the iDevice through a serial connection or the microphone port?

6. I like the concept. $297 for a single trace 5Mhz, 12MSPS capability is very expensive. Plus the probe connector is proprietary.

7. i wouldn’t buy it but i love the idea of adding external extra hardware functions to the ipad.

8. This is really cool. However I do agree that for 5 Mhz at $300 its a bit of a novelty. Love the idea however. But I think that if you are ok with sub 5Mhz then its a pretty cool little device. :)

9. That does look lovely (albeit a bit expensive).

A possible alternative might be the Seeed Studio DSO Nano:
    I have one, and it is cheap, tiny, and wonderful. Not quite so much bandwidth, and a small non-touch screen, but it does its job very well.

I’m tempted by their next model, currently in beta:
    which has two analogue channels at 72MHz

10. Anonymous on said:

Very nice, but $300? Too high by half for what it does. The DSO Quad was pre-sold at $200, and it’s a complete instrument with grossly similar specs. The iPad UI is an awesome idea, but the hardware is overpriced.

11. Anonymous on said:

$300 for this is ridiculous. You can get a *real*, self-contained digital oscilloscope that goes to 25MHz for $350, e.g. the Instek GDS-1022: http://www.tequipment.net/InstekGDS-1022.html

If you want portability, the SeedStudio DSO Quad at $200 is a much better deal: http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/preorder-dso-quad-beta-test-p-736.html?cPath=174

If there were an Android version, and if it were less than $100, I might buy one.

12. Anonymous on said:

The wires to the probes look too short. If i were to use this (and i’m probably not) i would want the Ipad in some kind of stand, and then the wires to the probes would be too short.

13. As my wife is the owner of the iPad in our house,
    I doubt if she’d let me use hers for this…
    But I LIKE it!

14. 5MHz???? You can have a 20MHz PC-based Logic Analyzer only for 59EUR here : http://ikalogicstore.com/

15. Wow that’s absolutely amazing and I don’t even know what an oscilloscope is! But it looks pretty hardcore like something you’d see at a hospital. The things people come up with these days, just amazing.

16. Wow that’s absolutely amazing and I don’t even know what an oscilloscope is! But it looks pretty hardcore like something you’d see at a hospital. The things people come up with these days, just amazing.

17. Anonymous on said:

Indeed an article worth reading for. Great choice of topic and the content are brief and concrete. It really help my research.

18. Anonymous on said:

Wow, It’s really a high-tech products.
    here, http://www.awholesalecompany.com is my site. Welcome to  have a look when you are free.
    We are an online electronics wholesale distributor offering a wide variety of
    high-quality electronic products at wholesale price.

Related Supplies at Maker Shed