The official word about this Victorian house that has a secret garage is that it was created by Beausoleil Architects as a way to comply with building housing codes. I’m not buying it though- I think that it’s actually just a cover for a large, house-sized robot that needs to be fed cars periodically. [via Laughing Squid]

Comments

1. kalleguld says:

Am I the only one thinking Monty Python?

1. Crescendo of Peace says:

As much as I love Monty Python, I was actually thinking more Invader Zim.

But I like the house-sized robot eating cars periodically, too.

That’s really cool. Must have a really deep garage though.

1. James Nelson says:

I love it. I want one.

3. Gregg says:

Interesting comment.

4. home reviews says:

I wonder who lives there.

5. Bill Porter says:

I’m curious how this achieved “a way to comply with building housing codes”. If the codes say no garage, then this doesn’t make it comply, it just hides your non-compliance from view. Could the code say nothing that ‘looks like’ a garage is acceptable?

1. Matt Mets says:

Their explanation was that the code isn’t against garages having garages per se, but against modifying the original look of the building. This solution reportedly lets them follow the law by making what is essentially an unconventional garage door.

1. Bingo. The architecture of San Francisco victorians is typically protected. You can’t do anything to alter the outward appearance. So replacing the front with a standard garage door is out of the question. Replacing it with a garage door that simulates the look of the historical appearance is acceptable. Though I’m not sure whether it hurts or helps the value of the house. Purists would balk at the idea of a Victorian with such a substantial structural change.

6. futileboy says:

the only trouble I see with this design is that people will end up parking in front of your garage “door” since it would appear to not be obstructing anything.

7. Craig Taylor says:

Awesome garage. Deserves to hold some unique cars.

That’s really cool.
    thanks for your share
    http://www.laptop-battery-store.ca laptop battery

9. AndrewS says:

stupid
    the house is now ruined

10. Bertram Vanscyoc says:

The no parking sign above the garage door is a nice touch, and it shows how much thought was put into making the garage. It’s pretty cool that it blends in perfectly to the Victorian-style house, too. Thumbs up to the maker and his creativity!

-Bertram Vanscyoc

11. EduardCurby says:

Planning to build a house is not an easy job. We have
    to look at the area, the availability of the materials as well as the type of
    the house you wanted. Having a Victorian type of house for others may seem to
    be very expensive. But there are companies that offer great deals that are
    affordable and budget friendly. However, we have to be very careful in choosing
    the company because we are investing our money for this property.

cheap house plans

12. [...] MAKE Magazine had a little feature on a great house with a hidden garage. Click through for a video of the transformation in action. [...]

13. [...] Victorian House Has Secret Garage, Might Actually Be Robot in Disguise Share this:Like this:LikeBe the first to like this post. [...]

14. [...] Victorian House Has Secret Garage, Might Actually Be Robot in Disguise [...]

15. [...] 17/17: Secret Garage, Beausoleil Architects (link) [...]