Ryan Kothe’s animated short, “Worn Out,” shows objects seemingly disintegrating before your eyes. I thought I spied some telltale Dremel marks in some of the shots, but I can’t be sure. How do you think this short was made? Post your theories in the comments. [via Core77]

Becky Stern

Becky Stern is head of wearable electronics at Adafruit Industries. Her personal site: sternlab.org

Comments

1. Ben Brockert says:

With the parallel grooves and big shavings I’d guess a bastard file.

2. Alexander says:

My bet is on a rasp-style file. The marks in parallel at the end gave it away for me.

3. An important note in the video, it lists the materials for the pencil as lead, wood, and paint coating. You’d need to hunt down a pretty old pencil to get an actual lead pencil (I think)

1. Kaithar says:

Pencils have never contained actual lead, just a material that looked a bit like lead.

1. Similarly, it labeled a lid as being made of tin, it was almost certainly al.

4. John Edgar Park says:

Pretty sure he uses mind bullets.

1. David Moore says:

That’s telekinesis, John.

5. fantastic macro photography, I really enjoy the super narrow depth of field. I suspect some sort of manual hand tool over a power tool, due to the fact the disintegrated bits aren’t disturbed very much. a rotary cutting / grinding tool would be blasting them all over the place

6. Checkering file or a Rasp I would say.

7. Rotary file or rasp?

Manual rasp or vixie file is my vote. Dremel isn’t possible due to excessive flingage that we don’t see here.

And a great deal of patience. All my time lapse movies are just fast motion timed sequence shots of normal speed folks doing stuff. Props dude.

9. Machinebot says:

One word- Gremlins….

10. Dean Segovis says:

I found this short video very mesmerizing! I wish it was longer… inspiring and nicely done!

11. Triacron says:

probably sandblasting… ???

Try running it backwards

13. migpics says:

Actually this was filmed by simply placing different materials on the stage, letting them come together through the use of magic, and then playing it backwards to make it look like things were falling apart. :)

Cheese grater!

The rasp sounds right, but all mine have the teeth offset to prevent the parallel trenches that show up in this fine short film. And the trenches appear deeper than the ~1mm teeth of a coarse rasp. It really looks like a dinner fork, or a car key, but it could just be the first row of a rasp. The swarf looks right for one.

16. Wayne Dancer says:

A wire wheel on a drill would do this.

17. I’d say dremel tool

18. I like the guess of wire wheel on a drill, but how about a weed whacker? Or what if the wire wheel only had one thin “spoke” of bristles to make it more weed-whacker-esque? Then the film could actually be shot in realtime, by matching the frame rate of the camera to the RPM of the drill or weed whacker, taking an image every moment that the “spoke” is out of the frame.

19. At least one of the shots made me pretty sure it was a Surform rasp … but it may have been different tools in different shots, depending on scale and material.

I do think a motorized tool would have spread fragments more than most of the items seem to show.

20. Rob Lorraine says:

This video may be of interest (or at least the end of it).