Michael Shiloh with some old-school breadboarding

Working with EL wire

REALLY old-school breadboarding

I love the concept behind the Bay Area Workshop Weekend event — take the inspiration and enthusiasm generated from Maker Faire Bay Area and present a series of workshops the follow weekend so that folks can learn what they saw at the Faire. Nearly 100 people did just that, on May 28 and 29. They participated in some 15 workshops at Tech Liminal, Hacker Dojo, The Crucible, Noisebridge, and other spaces around SF. Event organizer J.D. Zamfirescu tells us that the most popular draws were Sewing with Electronics, Sequence your own DNA, Distillation Basics, Learn to Solder, and Electroluminescent (EL) wire. Here are some pics from the weekend. There are few more after the jump and on their website.

Mitch Altman points out some distillation basics

We’re sure they meant to be wearing safety glasses!

Workshop Weekend

Gareth Branwyn

Gareth Branwyn is a freelancer writer and the former Editorial Director of Maker Media. He is the author or editor of a dozen books on technology, DIY, and geek culture, including the first book about the web (Mosaic Quick Tour) and the Absolute Beginner’s Guide to Building Robots. He is currently working on a best-of collection of his writing, called Borg Like Me.

Comments

I wish there were something like this in Portland!

2. AndrewS says:

most people don’t need safety glasses to solder because they don’t stick their face into the joint they are working
    I know solder is supposed to be lead free now but that doesn’t mean the fumes are good for you.
    i wouldn’t like to be that lady.
    I dont imagine she has very good precision of either the iron or the solder with that kind of grip.

3. AndrewS says:

i wouldn’t like to be that lady.

4. AndrewS says:

i wouldn’t like to be that lady.

5. AndrewS says:

i wouldn’t like to be that lady.

6. AndrewS says:

i wouldn’t like to be that lady.