Manitoba maker, Don Barnard, shows us how how to throw together a simple softbox using a shipping container, dollar store sun reflector, flood light, and some duct tape.

Adam Flaherty

I make cool stuff and write about other people making cool stuff on makezine.com. If you have something you think I should see, send me a tip.

Comments

1. kalleguld says:

Finally, a project that incorporates my vast array of shipping containers!

2. Don Barnard says:

I like to make my DYI projects as general as possible, just to nudge people in a general direction… remember if you can’t find a shipping container, you can buy cheap styrofam coolers in the camping isle… as well you can use tinfoil… the shipping container, however give you the opportuniy to use the cardboard box and some foamcore to “Pretty it up” and “Make a grid”. I’ll be making another how to on that soon. Thanx Make, I’m a huge fan!

test

1. Don Barnard says:

Thanx. I’m dyslexic. When I was first diagnosed, I prayed to DOG for a miricle healing, that didn’t work, so I wnet to the bra and ordered a drink.

2. Don Barnard says:

3. Don Barnard says:

4. Don Barnard says:

5. Don Barnard says:

6. Don Barnard says:

7. Don Barnard says:

test

3. James B says:

I made a softbox out of a plastic shoebox.  You cut a window in most of the lid, then close the lid over some waxed paper, and tape a flash (used vintage for ~5 usd) to another hole on opposite the diffuser paper.  The real trick is to hold the camera shutter open in a dark room, and paint in the shadows with multiple flashes from different points.  My hodgepodge of vintage flashes didn’t work so great at triggering all at once, so I just use one multiple times.