Modern solar and battery technologies will soon make it into our everyday gadgets. Until then, you’ll have to hack together something akin to Paulie1982′s solar powered cellphone. [via hackaday]

Adam Flaherty

I make cool stuff and write about other people making cool stuff on makezine.com. If you have something you think I should see, send me a tip.

Comments

Was wondering, instead of destroying the back of your phone, couldn’t the solar panels be surface mounted with velcro?

Also, would it make sense to add a voltage regulator?

Also, would it make sense to add a voltage regulator?

3. VRAndy says:

I would like to propose that there is no way he’s powering a smart-phone with the dinky panels he salvaged from a garden light

Solar power on this scale is dubious enough, but you’d be hard-pressed to find less efficient panels than the ones in those garden lights that struggle to light a single LED.

I’d be surprised if that gathers enough juice to keep the phone topped off in standby mode.

4. VRAndy says:

5. Michael Colombo says:

agreed with VRAndy – real-life micro applications for solar like this are pretty dismal. I bet you’d harvest more power mounting some sort of mini faraday generator to the phone instead – charge it through walking motion in your pocket…

6. Michael Colombo says:

7. Michael Colombo says:

8. John says:

Read about this subject a couple weeks ago.  Is not going to happen.  Phones are hot enough already, phone manufacturer tests showed that the extra heat makes for unhappy phones.

9. John says:

10. John says:

11. John says:

12. A day late dollar short for me :~( there are portable you can plug. called and looked on us patents.oh will
    next.