No longer must those looking for a giant, 14-person bicycle outfitted with beer coolers look across the Atlantic for their machines. My friend, übermaker Casimir Sienkiewicz, (it sounds just like it’s spelled) has produced the first in what I believe will be quite a few of these.

He took his hand welded contraption out on the streets of Minneapolis last night.

They look like they’re having a good time.

Comments

1. Dafydd Barr says:

“Drinking, officer? Of course not! I’m not drinking; I’m driving! ~They’re~ drinking!!!!”

2. Caz built these for a company in FL. Pedal pub has been operating similar vehicles in the twin cities for a while already…

3. Caz built these for a company in FL. Pedal pub has been operating similar vehicles in the twin cities for a while already…

Can someone tell me which song that is? And who the artist is?

please send one to Philly, thanks!

6. We’ve got one like this in Madison, WI. I’m far from an engineer (though I DO work at a bicycle company… but I’m in IT) but I think it’d be cool if the cyclists drove a flywheel, rather than direct drive. Perhaps with a simple kind of variable speed transmission automatically controlled by electronics measuring torque delivered to the flywheel? Maybe I just read too much slashdot.

7. Adam Lindsay says:

How is this legal. Not that I am criticizing, I love it and want a fleet of them myself but it seems that there are some zoning laws that might be broken.

8. Mike Murphy says:

Now this is a bicycle…

9. Joe says:

I believe this is perfectly legal from a speed standpoint (horse carriage in the city).  How you have drunk passengers in a moving vehicle I’m not sure.

Also it would seem that thing isn’t built very efficiently.  If a single biker can average 10-20mph, there’s no reason why a dozen bikers couldn’t do the same (still a good power to weight ratio even with a non-peddling driver).  I don’t know why you would put such wide tires on it, there’s a LOT of drag co-efficient there (and not like it’s going to go fast enough to need traction).

I would say either they need continuous variable transmissions (so they can peddle efficiently), or they all need to be connected to alternators that charge up a battery, and the vehicle is simply electrically driven (which means when it needs to stop, they can continue peddling and storing up energy).

10. Joe says:

11. Joe says:

Case in point, this guy has totally designed what I’m talking about:

12. Thanks for checking us out! We have facebook (citycycletours) and twitter ( @citycycleusa:twitter
    ), as well as a great features website (citycycle.us) ! Our normal business site is here: http://www.thecitycycle.com.

As far as the legality goes, different states and cities have different laws, but the great state of MN considers us a bicycle and has ratified a statute allowing bicycles with 5 or more passengers to consume alcohol. We as the company provide the driver, however, so there is always a DD. And because we have disk brakes off of a car, the driver can take function away from the peddlers at any time. Let the party begin!